View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Stake pockets welded on. This is the cab end so you can see how the integrated end cap worked out.

Spot or resistance welded on except for the flange under the top roll. Holes had been punched in it and then plug welded closed.

The other end shows the 50mm-2" set back on the stake pocket so the tailgate can sit flush with the end of the bedsides over the floor.

The belled/dimple died holes are to give access under the rear guards to the shock and swaybar mounting bolts on the chassis. This way they can be changed out without removing the bedsides.

Making the front panel. I first turned the first and second folds. As with the second one, the third can't be folded all the way as it hits the side of the channel.

I squared up the edge of the top angle iron to get a matching radius on the fold. The flipped the panel over so I could then continue the fold hitting upwards the rest of the way.

It has taken three sheets of 1.2mm-18# CRS, (Cold Rolled Steel), to build the bed so far. Same gauge as stock. There is enough left over to make all the bottom skirts, steps and rear roll pan as well. The tailgate too if I use the original pressing and add new top and bottom rolls to it.

I'm liking the proportions very much so far.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.