View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
I would like to know what the model, according to which the mannequin is made, would tell you that you are making a statue according to it. Maybe she'd be pleased with how long you've been hugging her. Maybe it does her good from a distance.

It would be interesting to compare your made knee with the original model today.
Jaroslav, I looked for a suitable mannequin for a year before I found her on Ebay. Most mannequins are just 'clothes hangers'. They are not very realistic and didn't have the muscle tone I was looking for. This one was made from a real person. There is a company on the US west coast that makes molds from real people.

This particular young lady was about 17 or 18. I've tried to 'age' her by adding realism. For instance, to make her more realistic, her breasts are larger and droop a bit and she carries a good bit more weight in her butt and throughout her body. For the mannequin, I simply added bondo until I built her up about 1/2 inch on her backside blending down into her sides. One of the more fun bondo sanding experiences I've ever had btw...

I'm not trying to make an EXACT copy but if the muscle tone is wrong she will look odd. Also, mannequins have smaller than normal hands and feet so I've made her more 'normal'.

All that said, it's an art piece and like Venus de Milo, she is supposed to look like she looks. Only Alexandros of Antioch, the creator of Venus, would have been able to tell us if she was not a perfect copy or if he took artist liberty.

My point in this thread was to point out the only way I know to duplicate a shape without a hammerform etc.