Thread: Sad News
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I've been dreading this day. Stan was one of a kind. I first met him at Dutch Comstock's first metalshaping event back in 2002 or so. We were making copper weathervanes. Stan had heard about it somewhere and he came up. Over the days, we heard quite a few of Stan's stories which I enjoyed but thought were total BS. One day he disappeared and showed up the next morning with the most magnificent fried chicken.

A visit to Stan's was a near religious experience. Something amazing was around every corner. One time there was this ENGINE sitting on the floor behind a door. I asked Stan what it was and he said 'Offenhauser'. I nearly wet myself.

I visited with him several times. In the tour of the shop were some amazing things. THE 1958 Popular Mechanics cover car....an uniquely unattractive and 1 of 1 car. Many sprint cars and most were significant because of the race they won or who drove them. Another Offy lay on the floor. Stan casually remarked 'That one was won the Indy 500'.

The is Stan in the middle of between Bennett Chapman on the left and me on the right. Stan was about 75 at this point and from some of the photos I've seen, in his prime, Stan was a USDA certified MAN!

HPIM2532.jpg

Stan had a huge collection of handheld planishing hammers and fender rollers.

HPIM2501.jpg

THE OFFENHAUSER THAT WON THE INDY 500!

HPIM2519.jpg

The uniquely unattractive Popular Mechanics car.

HPIM2521.jpg

Stan's family owned a catering hall in Hazelton PA.

HPIM2542.jpg

It was impossible to have a short visit with Stan. He'd insist on cooking for you and showing you this building or that building.

At the early MetalMeet's Stan introduced the community to making copper flowers and charmed the ears off any females who happened to attend. In his earlier days, I expect he charmed other things off.....LOL

He always said that his kids didn't need anything and he had donated his collection to the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing in southern PA. I hope they have a big building ready because he has a ton of stuff.

EVERYONE in the sprint car world knew Stan. Whenever I'd see a sprint car at a show, the owner would know Stan.

One of a kind and he will be missed.