View Single Post
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Time to add the front cradle. Front mounts for this were already installed before I plated the rails you might remember. So bolted in the front and then made sure the frame was square to the centreline.

The rear mounts are quite a bit lower than the Willys frame rails and are inboard.

This is the rear mounts inside the Grand frame rails that I had cut out.

I cut and made the pieces of the donors frame rails to fit, but didn't like the way it looked at all. So pulled out some of the original Willys suspension mounts to see if they could be utilised.

Choose the original leaf spring mounts that were on this part of the frame originally and cut them to length after removing the original rivets that held them together. Thought this suited the frame better seeing this mount will be visible behind the front wheel under the guard.

Then folded up some plate to follow the shape of the mounts so they could extend from outside the frame, to the inside and over the cradle mounts. Got one done and now making the second one the same.

Folds match the mount well enough considering just done in a vice with a hammer.

Here you can see the mount come out over the cradle. Part of the donor mount sits inside it to check its position before being welded in later. This makes it mount in exactly the same way as in the donor.

Blasted the old leaf spring mount with garnet inside and out before welding some of it together. Not sure if I will add the original rivet heads into the old holes or not. Might make the contrast of old and new a bit much.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.