View Single Post
Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

This was an exciting time for me. Wheeled the engine/transmission/transfercase assembly across ready to be lifted in!

Overall shot of the frame and drivetrain in place.

]

Got a bit carried away with the engine in shots.

One of the reasons I added the front diff assembly and the steering rack was to make sure I had enough clearances. Has been 1.5 years since making the engine mounts so good to double check everything under the installed weight. Everything checked out well except for the clearance between the diff mount and the engine mount. I had made it with 3/8"-10mm of clearance, but the engine mount compressed 1/4"-6mm once underweight.

It probably would have been alright as the engine torque would lift the engine up on this side giving more room. But I couldn't be 100% sure so simply welded up the bracket holes and re-drilled them 1/4"-6mm higher. Now I am confident it will be fine.

Funny how the two cross members look remarkably similar even though there is 60 years between them. You are looking though at the top of the original and the bottom of the new one though.

Was thinking of using the old one at first but worried it might not be up to holding the weight of the new drive train.

The frame depth in this section is 2" deeper than on the donor Jeep. So I had to shorten the cross member so it would fit between the rails.

Good thing is that there is an 1" of clearance under the auto's sump compared to the bottom of the frame rail. Even the transfercase sits higher than the bottom of the frame.

It worked out the end of the cross member sits flush with the bottom of the rail once the stock drive line angle was set. Will have to make some now mounts for it next.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-01-2017 at 03:33 AM.