Thread: Flares for 77TA
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2020, 02:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

It’s very tough for me to add input, as I’m all self taught and I go after each project I do in a trial and error type method. However, my initial reaction to the very basics (or order of operations) that you are curious about would be:

First let’s break the flare down into four descriptions so we are on the same page (starting at the body and working to the wheel lip)

1. The reverse curve that attaches / blends to the quarter panel.
2. The flare itself (the width it extends from the quarter)
3. The wheel opening
4. The wheel opening lip

In a very basic description, only how I think I’d do this....

A. Cut out your sheet metal blank according to your paper pattern (Not too much excess, as that is just more material you have to try to shape, shrink, stretch)
B. Work on shaping and fitting the flare portion to fit your wire buck or frame.
C. Add your reverse curve to the outside perimeter of the flare to match / blend into your quarter panel. Adjust and tweak the flare and the reverse curve so it fits the wire frame without stress.
D. With the flare and reverse curve fitting the wire frame without pressure, mark or trace the edge for the body line where you will tip down to create the wheel opening.
E. Again, adjust and tweak the flare, reverse curve and wheel opening to fit the wire frame. Each “feature” you add to the part makes it trickier you go back and adjust the previous steps (think of it as kind of “locking in” the shape a bit)
F. When all three of those are fitting the wire frame correctly, again trace or mark on the wheel opening where you need to tip to create the wheel opening lip.

Dane