View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 08:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

If you manage to get the edges sitting down all around the perimeter of that panel, you may be no where closer to finishing the part than you are now.
Take some small balls of modelling clay and place them in random places under your patch when you think you're done. If they don't squish down to 1/32" thick, you have too much crown in the middle.

What you need are some profile gauges. Since you have a shrinker, they are easy to make from strips of steel/aluminum.
Make lines on your fender with numbers corresponding to your profile guages. Make the same lines on your panel. Using these will tell you where you need more or less crown.

If you have too much crown in the middle, you need to wheel the outboard edges. Not only the edges, blend inwards but not all the way to the center again as that adds crown and you're right back to where you started.

The exercise mentioned about putting a crown into a 12" square and then making it flat again will help you learn exactly what needs to be done to get it to where it needs to go. (I really need to try this myself, so yes, I'm guilty of bypassing something so important)
I think I will show this exercise at my upcoming meet.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154