View Single Post
Old 12-01-2021, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the encouragement! I’m going with steel and using 20ga for the majority of it with 18ga for possibly the heavier items like the hood, doors, and trunk. I haven’t had any experience working or welding aluminum and although the original body is made from it, I decided that the steel would be best for me to work with this first time. They’ll be a lot of trial and error, but it’ll be fun!

Cheers
Dave

If you have good access to 19 gauge you may want to use that for your body panels. 19 gauge runs .0418 where as 20 gauge runs .0359.
When you work 20 gauge and have to do any stretching (and there is stretch in just about any panel) it gets thin real fast so you can't make many mistakes in stretching or wheeling before the panel is trash. 19 gauge will give you that little bit extra thickness and will allow more tolerance for mistakes in stretching and wheeling. Also 19 will make a very nice very dent resistant panel.

If I could get my hands on 19 gauge it is all I would use. But it is not available in my part of the country.