View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 05:45 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

After the roof, rear window, door opening half and tulip panel were in place, now was the time to shape and fill in the missing areas of the sail panel and tulip panel.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  72.9 KB

I shaped up and filled in the missing sail panel and tacked it into position. Nothing too difficult with shaping this panel really.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  74.6 KB

A 3/4 view from the rear looking forward with the sail panel area filled in.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  75.6 KB

One more view straight on from the side.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  73.1 KB

Once I had both sail panels shaped and roughed in, it was time to start on the fit and flow of the roof, rear window, tulip panel and decklid. Here I have a profile gauge I made to lay over the area and see how it naturally wants to "flow" from the roofline down to the decklid.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  73.0 KB

As you can see I kind of worked on fabricating, shaping and tacking new pieces in in sections. I did this as everything was so loose and floppy, I needed to just start getting some areas roughed in and work out from there.

Here I've got the center below the window shaped and tacked into position. If you look you'll see I had to make some relief cuts on the bottom corner of the window to help this area "splay" out and up to help the flow into the surrounding areas.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  74.2 KB

Here on the driver's side I've shaped and tacked in the last remaining piece on the bottom corner.

The tulip panel area ended up being kind of a "patchwork" of panels welded into position (exactly what I basically removed on the '50 Mercury thread I shared previous) the only difference, was these panels fit and welded together properly. So the metal finishing will be fine when I eventually "fine tune" everything later on.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  75.0 KB

A straight on view from the side with the sail panel and tulip panel shaped and filled in.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  72.5 KB

A 3/4 view pic from the rear with the sail panel and tulip panel shaped and filled in.

Walking around the car, the rear corner looking forward is easily the nicest view / look of the car (in my opinion) Pictures don't really do it justice, but in person it looks so nice even at this rough stage.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  73.0 KB

A view from down low in the back

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 03-14-2018 at 05:48 PM.