View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Thanks John.

I will have to respectably disagree with your tacking theory.
I feel there should be no hurry here. The faster the parts are tacked together, the more time will be required to peen them flush prior to welding.

> >
Pugsy, Chris, I guess I should have posted photos to back up what I was saying about high speed tacking so here they are. This isn’t something I was reading about or somebody’s theory, it’s what I have been doing for maybe 15 years.>>
>Name:  #1aw1.JPG
Views: 3288
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  #1aw2.JPG
Views: 3239
Size:  38.6 KB >

> >
No hammering or grinding proud tacks, the only thing I do is run a 3” grinder down the seam to get rid of the manufacture’s pickling and my tack discoloring and I’m ready to do my final continues weld. The metal in the photo is .039 thick and the tacks were done at 75 amps with a 1/16” tungsten, bash the foot pedal down and release instantly. It’s not even welding where you watch a puddle, it’s more a robotic technique --- rotate the tungsten across the panel split while the torch’s gas cup is sitting on the panel and at the same time bash and release the foot pedal, that’s all there is to it. Once I got the welder set up and figured out my weld heat on some scrap I did all the tacks in the photo in about a minute. I really think anyone with tig experience could pick this up in under an hour’s practice, it’s just not that hard . ~ John Buchtenkirch >>