Thread: My VW type 147
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridofreak View Post
To build a complete new body is out of my skills so i'm planning to restore piece by piece, and maybe when its finished i have the skills to make a complete new body.
Welcome to the forum Wesley.

Your English is fine. Having owned a couple dozen various air cooled VW's, I have to admit I have never seen a Type 147 over here in the US. I think it's really neat.

In your first post on this thread you mentioned you would "start with the roof gutter and take of the roof therefor." Can I suggest that after reading your quote above that you start instead with some smaller and easier patches before cutting the roof loose? Your post above indicates you are learning, (as so many of us here are) and so I would strongly advise you learn some more before you take the roof off. Without the roof, and with the floor pan so far gone, the body will want to flex all over, which you can counter-act with braces before you cut, but the magnitude of the job may appear overwhelming.

Something to consider: the low roof height makes the roof very, very visible on this vehicle, and you will want to do your very best with it. With a series of smaller repairs in less noticeable areas successfully under your belt, you will gain the skills and confidence to do the roof.

Just my opinion, since you asked. Please keep posting.