All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-19-2017, 04:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Default New tool box vs rust during storage

I recently acquired a Kennedy mechanics top box that I would like to use to store my nicer metal working tools that are prone to rust here in SC in my uninsulated shop. Depending upon my schedule, different groups of tools go untouched or even unseen for very long periods of time. It's no fun to find my nice polished dollies and hammer faces with new rust and pits to remove....

The tool box is still nicely painted, but is only metal without any drawer lining. What should or shouldn't be used to line the drawers, maybe cover the tools (like socks or ??) or any other suggestions? Keeping desiccant packs to use and trade out would make some sense if my shop didn't have the huge temp swings plus the summer's crazy humidity. I like Boeshield and paste wax but would like a lower maintenance approach. I have thought about a fabric cover for the box.

What do others do, like or have found doesn't really work?
Old 08-19-2017, 04:22 PM

An old machinist trick is to put camphor blocks in each drawer. As they evaporate, is reeleases an oil vapour that covers the tools and resists rusting.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 08-19-2017, 05:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2017

AC, Here in Florida I face the same problem. I used tools and purchased tool sets for the Army when I was in uniform. We had major problems with the tools sets going on ships for long periods to destinations around the world. Some tricks that we used as a desiccants but a layer of oil on the tools, paper towels as liners with drops of oil on them, and some mechanics put a layer of synthetic grease on the working surfaces. Zip lock backs with drops of oil and a desiccant are helpful too. Put the tools in there and zip them up. We use this methods for lots of things to prevent dirt, water, and rust contamination.

My tools manufactures (all major brands) stated that there was no way to totally prevent rust.

One thing that I do, is place my very expensive or important tools and put them in a tool box in a closet in the house. I clean them off with alcohol and a paper towel, then wipe them down with oil, then in tool box.

These processes are especially true for weapons. There is a product called CLP (Cleaner Lubricant Protectant) and you can buy it commercially that we use on weapons and other things to prevent rust. Light coat is all you need.

Please let me know what you decide if you find something different, as I fight rust daily.
Dave
Old 08-19-2017, 08:11 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Camphor tablets no S$%&!! My great uncle was a tool maker and I inherited his tools when he passed. I could never figure out why he had the camphor tablets in the box, but none of the tools rusted.

I like using Johnson paste wax on my tools to preventer any issues.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:17 PM

Hi Clint,

I keep my e wheel anvils in these http://www.zerustproducts.com/produc...-vci-poly-bag/

Lots of different anti rust products on their site.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM

I use loads of those cheap air tight poly bags, put item in + drop of WD40 or equivalent, squeeze all the air out and seal.
You dont lose any space in the toolbox and whatever only needs a wipe off with "Brake Cleaner" to be oil free and ready to go.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Seal-...dPgkMg2aRe63qQ
There are numerous suppliers worldwide.
I keep a small office drawer file with various sizes.
Whenever I take an item to pieces, I keep all the bits together in these bags, labelled accordingly, even sub items in small bags together in larger bag.
Sorry, a bit anorak, but works for me.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 08-20-2017, 11:23 AM
MetalShaper of the Month June 2016

Camphor blocks work, but you can also just cut cardboard to fit and hose it with WD-40. For more sensitive machinst tools, you can line your drawers with VCI paper.

My hammers sit out on a rack here in my SC garage. I wipe them with non-aerosol WD-40 before I put them back on the rack. The only time they rust is when the garage door leaks water on them when I open it. They have gone 6 months without rusting. Also, polishing all your hammer faces and dollies takes away all the tiny pores where moisture can collect.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:14 PM

Default Rust prevention

These are a household version of commercial Vapor Corrosion Inhibitors. Cortec makes the commercial stuff which is great, but you need to buy large quantities.
https://www.theruststore.com/Bull-Fr...r-Cup-P24.aspx

For big stuff I love Boesheild. Hands down the best corrosion prevention. Easily removed.
https://boeshield.com/

Last edited by billfunk29; 08-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Still air holds more humidity than moving air.

To drop the humidity in your shop hang a 20 inch box fan on the ceiling near on side and aim it down at about a 45 degree angle. If the humidty is not too high the fan will solve your problem. If not, the fan willl reduce the humidity a great deal.

Leave the fanning running forever...
Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Remington gun oil