All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-27-2019, 07:24 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

This update doesn't have much to do with any actual work or progress, but instead more of a "mock up" stage. I knew that the customer was coming for a visit so I wanted to mock up a bit of the area behind the front seats as well as fill in a bit of the trunk and wheel tub to give him a better idea of the end goal to see if he was happy with the plan. This also did serve a purpose and gave me a mental picture of what's going to happen so I can plan ahead accordingly when I continue fabrication of the interior structure.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  75.8 KB

Here is the basic concept for the interior of the trunk. The AccuAir air system is planned to be mounted above the rear end between the wheel tubs. This is the tank, compressor and valves all in one unit. Nice and compact setup.

The sidewalls of the trunk / inner quarters are set back from the opening and in time I would suspect a "false" interior panel will be set flush with the opening thus giving a hidden compartment to store stuff behind (cleaning supplies, rags, towels, tools, etc.)

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  70.4 KB

In this picture I've added an accent panel that would hide the air tank. This panel would obviously be removable to maintain the tank if needed. The opening is loosely based on the front grille opening and would eventually have whatever grille screen or mesh that is used up front and possibly a nice emblem as well. (All just concept at this stage)

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  73.5 KB

It was always the plan to have the area behind the front seats covered or basically filled in. Here is a view from the rear window of the package tray area.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  75.6 KB

A view from the front shows how the area would be fabricated. Eventually in time this would be sculpted a bit more and upholstered nicely.

You can see the "void" created above and in front of the wheel tubs. Again the plan would be to have some access compartments or doors that you could open and store small stuff in possibly.

The big open area in the center will actually be where we plan to mount some of the mechanicals of the vehicle. The A/C and heat unit, air ride electronics, possibly the fuse panel (depending on space under dash) and anything else we can nicely mount under here.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  77.1 KB

A slightly different view. There will be plenty of room to hide components in that large center area. Here you can also see where I would plan to mount the battery (in front of the passenger wheel tub on the floor)

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  72.2 KB

This last pictures shows how a large cover would close up the opening thus hiding all the mechanicals behind it, yet accessible for maintenance when needed. Again.....this is just plain and basic for now in rough form. Eventually I could see some screens or vents to allow heat out, some trim, sculpting and upholstery will really dress it up nicely.

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 03-27-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:55 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Be interesting to see what he thinks of your ideas and wants done in the end. Cardboard is certainly a good visual aid.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2019

looking good dane!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:48 AM

I'm still hooked as well Dane, just quietly taking it all in.
I went out and bought a Tig 3 weeks ago but I haven't used it yet.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Be interesting to see what he thinks of your ideas and wants done in the end. Cardboard is certainly a good visual aid.
Remember I’m playing catch up with my posts. He’s already visited a couple more times since this mock-up. Everything was good and liked the direction it was headed.

With that said remember I don’t seemingly have a ton more forward progress complete (you’ll see as I add a few more updates) as I had done other projects take some time away, went on some personal snowmobile trips to the mountains myself and just in general the tasks I had been working on are slower more tedious items without a huge visual change and impact.

Dane
Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM

Pplace said: "tasks I had been working on are slower more tedious items without a huge visual change and impact."

But no less important to the overall success of the project.

Don't sell yourself short!

Most all of us have much to learn!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

No kidding- looks good. Planning is the right way to proceed. It's great to hear the customer is supporting you and your vision.

Just keep going, When I carve a stone, every speck of dust that I remove matters....
Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM

Nice touch on the last photo, with the "R" for Rambler on the faux fascia panel.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM

At this point I took a seemingly big detour from the floor and inner structure. However, there was a method to my thought process.

With just the outer body skins in place I had no great "connection" in the trunk area to tie the future trunk floor into the body structure (the cardboard mockup from last post helped me visualize what I needed)

With that said, the customer and I knew that we wanted to do away with the bulky stock bumpers and have custom slim "spear" type bumpers instead. I thought now was the best time to roughly figure out the bumpers and how they would fit into the body I wanted to "French" them in so they appear to float when mounted. This pocket that the bumpers mount into will eventually be the best place to tie the trunk floor in structurally as well. (Hopefully in time this will all make sense)

So this update will be about the start of the custom rear bumper.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  72.5 KB

I'll post these photos as well, I guess I finish welded all the seams on the quarter panels from the wheel well modifications.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  77.7 KB

Same on the driver's side.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  73.8 KB

After the initial metalworking

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  74.8 KB

Another view of the quarter panel after metalworking

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  66.8 KB

An example of a stock rear bumper.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  72.9 KB

I carved what we had envisioned out of some foam. My first thought was that I would need to fabricate these bumpers 100% from scratch and was not looking forward to that...….

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  73.9 KB

Different angle.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  75.3 KB

Overall side view to see proportions of new bumper idea.

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  74.2 KB

After sitting and staring at my foam bumper, I knew there just had to be a better starting point. I studied lots of cars and other bumpers and finally took a stab in the dark and had the customer order a front bumper for a 1963 Corvette.

Here you can see how my foam mock up design matched it pretty darn close actually! How lucky and odd!

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  72.2 KB

Side profile was pretty spot on also!

Note: I did not have these bumpers at the shop when I carved my foam rough idea.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  73.8 KB

Holding the stock Corvette bumper up in place for perspective.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  76.9 KB

Doing some major rough trimming to get a bit more down to what I actually need to use.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  77.5 KB

So, even though the foam one seemed to match the Corvette pretty close, you can see I still had to slice it and tweak the curves / radius to match the body exactly how I wanted it. I also shortened up the side length of it.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  73.1 KB

Roughly propped into place to see how it was possibly going to look.

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  74.6 KB

Different view.

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  76.1 KB

View from above showing how it turns and fades away back into the quarter panel at the front of the bumper.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  75.1 KB

And the side view.

We were happy where this was headed, so further work progressed from here.

Dane
Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

That's coming along nicely with that bit of luck there.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154