All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-13-2020, 08:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2022'

I spend as much time making the handle as forging a hammer. The odds are a little better if I start with an oversized handle and carve it down, but not too much better.

I too prefer an octagon handle, I have a stash of O.P. Link company handles that I picked up several decades ago. (How did that happen? Decades?)

A quick google shows that they're still in business, but now as part of Seymour Midwest. They claim to have octagon body hammer handles, although a little more investigation looks necessary.

https://www.seymourmidwest.com/pc_pr...umatch=octagon

Edit: All I needed to do was select the handle finish to see prices and eye dimensions. The standard finish are $8.72 each and have a rectangular eye, 1-1/16 x 9/16"

Last edited by fciron; 12-16-2020 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:33 PM

These are handles I bought several years ago from Beaver-tooth wood products. The small ones are a nice size grip size, but are only 12 inches long. The other is 13 inches long but is fatter. They have to be trimmed down to fit and could be slimmed down pretty easy. House Handles sells wooden and steel wedges. Small steel wedges are $12.50 a pound (about 200). Wood are $9.00 a pound (about 240).

IMG_0853.jpg

https://beaver-tooth.com/collections/hammer-handles

Last edited by norson; 12-14-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
These are handles I bought several years ago. The small ones are a nice size grip size, but are only 12 inches long. The other is 13 inches long but is fatter. They have to be trimmed down to fit and could be slimmed down pretty easy. House Handles sells wooden and steel wedges. Small steel wedges are $12.50 a pound (about 200). Wood are $9.00 a pound (about 240).

Attachment 58355

https://beaver-tooth.com/collections/hammer-handles

Plomb /Proto always made nice handles for their nice hammers.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:50 PM

Snap On still sell there lovely handles.
Old 12-14-2020, 05:52 PM

Side by side comparison of (L-R) Snap-On BF618 with the original handle, Dagger Tools replacement handle, and my nicest original Proto I have, a 1427.(I'm not a tool collector, but I don't use it much because of how nice it is.) The Dagger Tools handle is a direct replacement for the Snap-On. Probably what those handles were modeled after. You can see though how much thinner and more delicate the Proto handle is. Their handles are my favorite.
Like Kent, Proto and Plumb hammers are my favorite body hammers. The really old Plomb's especially have that sweet "ring" to them that Kent described.

DSCN0715.JPG