All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-21-2020, 01:18 PM

Default New Frost bead roller, now collected

This is my latest acquisition that I got in a recent retirement auction near to where I live. I had wanted a larger bead roller for some time as I have an F J Edwards 15" throat 16g motorised version that just hasn't had as much use as it could have with being relatively small. Larger versions rarely come up for sale and always command top money so they have always evaded me. Anyway, I recently received an email notification of an upcoming auction that listed a Frost 800mm throat swager as one of the lots so I bookmarked it and waited for it to go live. When the auction first started, the swager was nowhere to be seen but it appeared a day or so later so they must've been struggling to list all the lots. There was only a couple of poor quality photos and you couldn't see whether it was hand operated or powered. Long story short, mine was the winning bid and I didn't have to pay ridiculous money for it so that was a bit of a bonus! I wasn't prepared for its extreme size when I went to collect it today and took a very steady drive back to work with it as it's very top heavy. I've tried searching for Frost bead roller/swager and can find no photos whatsoever for it. Personally, I've never seen a machine of this size and certainly not a Frost one. This is going to be one of those machines that will never be sold as I think the chances of ever coming across another one are very, very slim. When I get time, it will be converted to VFD motorised drive as I don't fancy winding that handle over.

FBR1.jpg

FBR2.jpg

FBR3.jpg

FBR4.jpg

FBR5.jpg

FBR6.jpg
Old 10-21-2020, 01:20 PM

More photos
FBR7.jpg

FBR8.jpg

FBR9.jpg

FBR10.jpg

FBR11.jpg
Old 10-21-2020, 01:38 PM

Wow! That's a serious machine!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:03 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very, very cool. Congratulations.

Whe you get time- how about some specs. approx throat dimensions, tooling dimensions, shaft diameter, keyed or not, etc etc.?
Old 10-21-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
Very, very cool. Congratulations.

Whe you get time- how about some specs. approx throat dimensions, tooling dimensions, shaft diameter, keyed or not, etc etc.?
Yes, of course. I set off at midday to collect it and didn’t get back till later on in the afternoon so just managed to get it unloaded before finishing work for the day. It is a serious looking machine and I’m obviously very pleased to have been able to get it.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Wow, that looks very impressive.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:55 AM

Biggest swager/beader I've ever seen. Well done!

Unfortunately, here in my country, many old machines like this one end up as scrap because there's no demand or interest on the dealer's part to list these machines in their book - I presume that they see them as obsolete and unwanted. I tried to save a Gairu nibbler from such a fate by notifying the local shaping community, but there were no takers. The dealer, having acquired it as part of a lot only wanted the equivalent of $65 to clear it out his yard! A real tragedy IMO.

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal manny View Post
Biggest swager/beader I've ever seen. Well done!

Unfortunately, here in my country, many old machines like this one end up as scrap because there's no demand or interest on the dealer's part to list these machines in their book - I presume that they see them as obsolete and unwanted. I tried to save a Gairu nibbler from such a fate by notifying the local shaping community, but there were no takers. The dealer, having acquired it as part of a lot only wanted the equivalent of $65 to clear it out his yard! A real tragedy IMO.
Undoubtedly, lots of old machines were scrapped up until quite recently as the metal shaping and restoration community was fairly small and, before the internet, you just wouldn’t know the locations of these machines. I remember being in a scrap yard just after I’d bought my first Pullmax and seeing one poking out of a pile of metal. I went to look at it to see if it was worth getting dragged out and was horrified to see it had been gas cut in half! Fifteen to twenty years ago, many fabrication shops had Pullmax machines but they would have been superseded by turret punches and lasers so just became obsolete. If you can’t find a buyer for a machine then the scrap man gets it, which is a sad end for something that could still have a use.

As I’ve never seen a bead roller like this one I’d imagine a lot have been scrapped unless resto shops have them stashed away. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
Undoubtedly, lots of old machines were scrapped up until quite recently as the metal shaping and restoration community was fairly small and, before the internet, you just wouldn’t know the locations of these machines. I remember being in a scrap yard just after I’d bought my first Pullmax and seeing one poking out of a pile of metal. I went to look at it to see if it was worth getting dragged out and was horrified to see it had been gas cut in half! Fifteen to twenty years ago, many fabrication shops had Pullmax machines but they would have been superseded by turret punches and lasers so just became obsolete. If you can’t find a buyer for a machine then the scrap man gets it, which is a sad end for something that could still have a use.

As I’ve never seen a bead roller like this one I’d imagine a lot have been scrapped unless resto shops have them stashed away. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

Sadly this is all true and even worse, as is the case here in South Africa, the all-knowing government decided that trade apprentices were inferior to university degrees and scrapped the apprenticeship program, selling off most of many fine college assets.

A dealership I frequent had cheaply bought a dozen or so Alpine Voest lathes in near-new condition from one such college auction!

Luckily, on the back of low demand, I have picked up two Pullmax P-21's and keep searching for that unwanted Eckold. I shudder to think how many of these machines have slipped unnoticed into the furnace and been rolled into strip iron or 6" nails!

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

But that is a good situation. Modern companies are finding that they can do anything and everything very quickly with a minimum number of people. The problem they have in the situation is when something is a bit rounded or crooked and the customer wants to make it that way. They have 2 problems in one. They can't invent it and there is no one to make it. You don't even look for that individual on Google.

Beautiful space for our work.

I experienced a situation during the liquidation of the company. The one who organized it sold only machines that could not be taken away. He considered all the tools scrap and had them loaded on a truck and taken them away. They also weigh something from Eckold's tools. They received a reduced price in scrap because they contained rubber and plastics, and some were still wrapped in the original paper.

The price of that cargo exceeded several times the price of the machines the idiot was selling.

But I came late. I'm still sick of it. Human stupidity has no limits.
I would cry.