All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-20-2021, 09:23 AM

Manny,
The Makita JS 1602 is not a nibbler it is a shear. No bits of metal no jagged edge. Works different than a nibbler. Cutting deep into a panel on sharp radi is not ideal but I never cut out a panel that way. Do a google search for a Makita JS1602 then look at an enlarged view of the blades you will see it is not a nibbler.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Pneumatic shears I have tried seem to need a pretty big compressor. My preference is my Bosch electric shears.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:39 PM

Guess I will keep an eye out for a good deal on a set either electric or pneumatic shears or a nibbler. It's not like I'm doing this professionally so I'm not concerned if I have to cut out an approximate sqaure then trim with snips and waste a little metal. Just making sure there wasn't a simple hand tool I didn't know about for making cuts deep into sheets. On the plus side after watching a video I found here I can actually make a cut longer than 2 inches with my regular aviation style snips without it completely fighting me.
Old 03-21-2021, 01:54 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Matt. Think about the exact cut. Lever shears are sufficient for external arches. I use large vibrating shears for the inner arches. Small electric vibrating shears would suffice. The inner arch is always a problem.
DSC02554.JPG

DSC02607.JPG

DSC02606.JPG
Old 03-21-2021, 11:20 PM

Harbor Freight has some 120 volt shears for 30 or 40 dollars that work pretty well. I am sure the Bosh are better for about 400 dollars.
Old 03-22-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Manny,
The Makita JS 1602 is not a nibbler it is a shear. No bits of metal no jagged edge. Works different than a nibbler. Cutting deep into a panel on sharp radi is not ideal but I never cut out a panel that way. Do a google search for a Makita JS1602 then look at an enlarged view of the blades you will see it is not a nibbler.

Apologies! Quite right. I have a JS1601. Only one digit's difference in the model number, but a whole world of difference in how the machine cuts!

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Harbor freight has thier version of the js 1602 (make sure you get the big orange one not the smaller red or black one). I've been using it for almost a decade now.....

Wow that made me feel old.

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 03-22-2021, 03:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default HAND Tools for cutting aluminum sheet

Here's a list of cutting tools for aluminum sheet that I compiled for aircraft builders, waaay back in 2002. Some of these tools shown I have owned since 1983-4-5 ... so not absolutely CURRENT models are shown. (since the CCP has taken over so much of Earth's mfg ....)

In no particular order:

Cordless circular saw c.jpg
Battery-operated circular saw. Some mfrs make "aluminum cutting blades" (- which also work well for .040 stainless sheet.) Blades include diamond and abrasive. I also use two ea. (1970's) Skil 77's equipped with abrasive or fine tooth (and one dedicated to diamond blade for stone, glass). A table saw also works well. Lube the cut with beeswax, olive oil, parafin, light oil (3-in-One), or cocoa butter. Soft aluminums "gum" the blade more than the harder alloys.

Mini Air saw c.jpg
Abrasive air saw. Better for steel tube, bolts, angle iron. Messy grit goes distances. Also, the 6in electric cutoff saw/grinder models can make very straight cuts, on steel.
I also have an "air saw" for doing 1/4" and 3/8" AL plate - from boat building shops/yards. Lethal if handled incorrectly. Few guys recognize one. Those that do - "DAMN! Those can sever limbs!"

Saber saw c.jpg
Saber saw. (AKA "jig saw" - by those who have never used a "jig" or "scroll" saw. --- Even though MFR label sez such, the challenge I give is to actually cut out a real "jigsaw puzzle" with a sabersaw - of ANY make/MFR - to see for y'sef. Blade must be super thin! )

Sawzall also used. Very fine tooth pattern for sheet, "Rule of Two: Two teeth per Metal Thickness." Lots of vibration/chatter. Hard to control unless really leaning on saw. Tape the cut line to avoid leaving "traffic" on your new sheet. (Without tape? -see photo for nasty curving gouges, ie: "traffic" ... )
De-burr absolutely required, and sanding or filing to smooth the nasty edge.

Curling electric shear c.jpg
"Curling" electric shear. One cut-edge only (upper) will need deburr (not both). Hates stainless. Cannot be resharpened. Oil the lever. Lube the cut line.

Handheld electric shear c.jpg
"Throatless" electric shear. Makita also makes. And Bosch. Can be re-sharpened. Design goes back many decades. (Beverly Shear ....?)

Lower die height above the "shoe" critical for smooth cutting - slightly positive - never negative. Gap between cutters kept close.

Nibbler c.jpg
Nibbler. AKA "punch and die" nibbler. Pneu or elect. This is rectangular cut, goes up to 1/8 in any metal. Made new cutter for it a few years ago.
Also seen in cheaper "round die" models - MUST lube the cut!!!

Router, straight cut, guide c.jpg
Router on guide set. For making LONG STRAIGHT cuts. Yes, to 12 feet. Bits important: single flute for aluminum. Must lube the cut. Leaves factory edge quality - important for aeroplane construction.

P1010003 cutting tools c.jpg
The gang, shown together -

Along with the "rotozip" (lower left) - which I tossed in for only one application: opening round holes in large aluminum panels. Will make plunge cuts and then open to desired size - fuel tanks? Hand access on wings? Inspection access?

Must lube the cut.

Variable speed best - must use at lowest speed. (Single-flute, spiral, up-cutting bit, only.... ) Turn it on - AND Brace Yourself! - it's a great ride!

That is all,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 03-23-2021 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
Here's a list of cutting tools for aluminum sheet that I compiled for aircraft builders, waaay back in 2002. Some of these tools shown I have owned since 1983-4-5 ... so not absolutely CURRENT models are shown. (since the CCP has taken over so much of Earth's mfg ....)

In no particular order:

Attachment 59174
Battery-operated circular saw. Some mfrs make "aluminum cutting blades" (- which also work well for .040 stainless sheet.) Blades include diamond and abrasive. I also use a Skil 77 equipped with abrasive, fine tooth or diamond (stone, glass). A table saw also works well. Lube the cut with beeswax, olive oil, parafin, light oil (3-in-One), or cocoa butter. Soft aluminums "gum" the blade more than the harder alloys.

Attachment 59167
Abrasive air saw. Better for steel tube, bolts, angle iron. Messy grit goes distances.
I also have an "air saw" for doing 1/4" and 3/8" AL plate - from boat building shops/yards. Lethal if handled incorrectly. Few guys recognize one. Those that do - "DAMN! Those can sever limbs!"

Attachment 59168
Saber saw. (AKA "jig saw" - by those who have never used a "jig" or "scroll" saw. ) Sawzall also used. Lots of vibration/chatter. Hard to control unless really leaning on one. Tape the cut line to avoid leaving "traffic" on your new sheet. (Without tape? -see photo for nasty curving gouges ... ) De-burr absolutely required, and sanding or filing.

Attachment 59169
"Curling" electric shear. One cut edge only will need deburr (not both). Hates stainless. Cannot be resharpened. Oil the lever. Lube the cut line.

Attachment 59170
"Throatless" electric shear. Makita also makes. And Bosch. Can be re-sharpened. Design goes back many decades. (Beverly Shear ....?)

Attachment 59171
Nibbler. AKA "punch and die" nibbler. Pneu or elect. This is rectangular cut, goes up to 1/8 in any metal. Made new cutter for it a few years ago.
Also seen in cheaper "round die" models - MUST lube the cut!!!

Attachment 59172
Router on guide set. For making LONG STRAIGHT cuts. Yes, to 12 feet. Bits important: single flute for aluminum. Must lube the cut. Leaves factory edge quality - important for aeroplane construction.

Attachment 59173
The gang, shown together -

Along with the "rotozip" (lower left) - which I tossed in for only one application: opening round holes in large aluminum panels. Will make plunge cuts and then open to desired size - fuel tanks? Hand access on wings? Inspection access?

Must lube the cut.

Variable speed best - must use at lowest speed. (Single-flute, spiral, up-cutting bit, only.... ) Turn it on - AND Brace Yourself! - it's a great ride!

That is all,

You always have the greatest pictures.
Cars, tools, what ever. You must have boxes of them.
What fun those would be to dig through.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
You always have the greatest pictures.
Cars, tools, what ever. You must have boxes of them.
What fun those would be to dig through.

Hi Dave,
"What fun those would be to dig through." Yeh, but after the first 10,000 it gets to be a slog.
And it still takes me an hour to find, select, P'shop, and upload 6-8 of them.
I'll see something I want to respond to ... then I schedule the time .... find and prep .... sheesh - now it''s old news.
Thanks alot, though.

(Rob't Mc. always tickles me with his foto work, too.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.