All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-27-2011, 11:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Have fun guys, it looks like there will be lots going on. Remember to take pictures!

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011
Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM

I had a fantastic time!! It was great to meet so many nice people, and have the chance to learn from so many talented metal shaping experts.

Thank you to all of the people who put this event together!!

Lee
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 AM

I want to say thank you to John Forbes, for allowing all of us to come and have such a good time, and his family for helping as well. Thanks to Rick Scott for all of his hard work to make it an amazing event. And to all the pros that came out to teach us so many tricks of the trade. There was more talent at this event than I have ever had the pleasure of meeting anywhere else, and everyone was so incredibly nice and generous.

Thank you to everyone, I had a blast.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 AM

Yes thank your Mr white and Mr Covel for all your help this weekend with the rover hood scoop. i had a great deal of fun and leard a lot and now found that i need more toys to make my dreams come true. Thank your Rick and John Forbs for having us and hosting the party. cant wait to see you all soon.

Sam Beeson
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Default Anamazing weekend!!!!!!!!!

Man oh man... where to begin... perhaps with thanks .John's mountain hideaway was awesome and he (you) are an amazing host!
although i did not talk to everyone, those i did interact with were extremely helpful and friendly.. you guys made my friend and i very welcome.... the weekend was priceless!

i went into this weened not knowing what really to expect.. my metal forming skills are pretty green.. this weekend ignited an obsession within me that will be hard to tamper down..
i have a few projects that i'll be getting started on asap... i'm sure i'll be checking in for some support-

thanks again guys-

rich
(froM L.A.)
Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Administrator

pictures

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:37 PM

Default Great Weekend

I've been to all three Santa Cruz Meets and I think this was the best (so far). Big thanks to Rick Scott for all the work he does organizing this, as well as John Forbes, and his wife Mary, for allowing all of us to descend upon them. And a second thanks to Mary for feeding us (on her birthday!).

Then there was Lazze, Ron Covell and Kent White who all so generously donated their time and talents.

I also want to thank Anthony (Newsteel) who got there early, and stayed late, helping all along.

I'm sure Rick will be posting later, as he took a lot of pictures as well, but here's my first shot at it.

Kent White started us off with a demo of his air hammer, doing a number of operations including straightening out Kelly's 34 Ford truck fender, which was all wadded up. He also discussed oil cans, and with a simple wave of his torch, released the tension in one of my example pieces. He also did an aluminum welding demo with his Meco torch and special flux. www.tinmantech.com
IMG_0228.jpg
IMG_0279.jpg

Ron Covell also did several demo's including a hammer form and english wheel. Ron went from person to person working on projects and offered his help freely. www.covell.biz
IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg

Lazze was there with tools, helping anyone that had a queston. Here he's helping Anthony (Newsteel) with his fender as Travis, and I think that is Chris, watch. www.lazzemetalshaping.com
IMG_0240.jpg

Jere Kirkpatrick (Jere) is a Henrob dealer and gave demos on cast iron welding (thanks for fixing my broken slip roll part) and aluminum welding. Jere is the owner of Valley Forge and Welding in Willits, CA, and quite an interesting guy. He showed a technique of O/A aluminum welding that Ron Covell hadn't seen before. Jere is an interesting guy, having worked in the Shelby Cobra shop in the '60's to building sprint cars. He also teaches blacksmithing classes.
IMG_0260.jpg

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.

Last edited by Overkill; 05-30-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Default Most amazing Thanx!!!

This was the first event like this I have ever attended and it was a BLAST!!!

Thanx to every one that put this together.

John and his family are awesome, the place, the food and the hospitality. Just incredible!!

Rick and all his wonderful tools, what can I say. Well, I can say that I will be building one of his reciprocating machines. And most thanx for organizing this.

Kent White, what a guy, he's forgotten more then most people know about the history of metal shaping. And skilled beyond belief. Thanx for attending I learned so much.

Ron Covell, I enjoyed your demos so much as well as talking with you. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Lazze, I wish I had gotten to spend a bit more time talking with him, but he was constantly helping people learn and shape metal. What a guy and what a metal shaping master.

Jere, here is a fellow that has more skill then he lets on and is a wealth of knowledge with a sense of humor that is beyond belief. I enjoyed talking with you very much.

And to everyone else, thank you for making this such a great event. You all made me feel like one of the crew. I will be back next year for certain hopefully with a real project and maybe even add to the available tools by bringing some of my own.

Thanx so very much,
Jaysin

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 05-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:07 PM

Default More pictures

Joe McGlynn on the 12" CP planishing hammer
IMG_0233.jpg

Joel Hienke with his Ferrari GTO fiberglass door buck
IMG_0235.jpg

Sam Beeson (RoverSam) (my ride to the event) with his MDF buck for Rover Series hood to clear the 4.3 liter Chevy V6. Rec'd help from a number of people including Ron Covell, Kent White, Kevin Lewis.
IMG_0237.jpg

Kevin Lewis on the Lazze wheel making a hood for his sons roadster.
IMG_0239.jpg

Norm from Oregon on the group build deep throat shrinker. We had attendees from Washington, Oregon, Nevada and southern CA
IMG_0246.jpg

John White Jr
IMG_0251.jpg

Rick Scott and Travis
IMG_0252.jpg

Mike - TWA chief mechanic and friend of Kent White working on complex air intake for an airplane using a hammer form
IMG_0254.jpg

Rick Scott at the raffle. Prizes donated by Dagger Tools, Kerry Pinkerton, Lazze, Ron Covell, David Gardner
IMG_0256.jpg

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Damn I wish I was there!!

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.