All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-20-2021, 05:52 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Starting on making the bed floor supports. The front most crossmember needs to be 100mm-4" higher. I'm am just going to bolt the support on using 10mm nutserts. Using a bit normally used to flush mount cap screws. You just have to remember to first drill to suit the guide which is smaller than the final nutsert size. That or sleeve the guide.

I always squirt some zinc coating on before installing the nutsert to keep rust away. With them now flush, the support can sit directly on the crossmember.

I cut some 100mm-4" SHS tubing down as was the exact height I needed to match the chassis rails.

Just doing a layout of the stainless steel bed strips that will be going on the floor.

I am just using Formply which is a structural laminated plywood used in Australia for making concrete forms for bridge building to floors and walls in high rise etc. https://blog.plyco.com.au/plycos-guide-to-formply Very similar to marine ply and has a phenolic resin layer each side which is basically bakelite making it hard wearing and keeps water out. Unfortunately it was just not wide enough at 1220x2440,4'x8', to suit the wider than stock floor, so have to add to it. I made a right angle block with some adhesive sand paper stuck to one edge to make sure the cut edges were perfectly flat and square.

Using a biscuit joiner to join the boards. One every 150mm-6" which is the minimum spacing recommended along the whole length.

I used waterproof polyurethane wood glue. You have to mist the edges and the biscuits with water before applying it. The biscuits swell straight away so have to be quick and then apply the glue before inserting them and along the whole edge. I have clamps top and bottom and checked to make sure it was perfectly flat by adjusting the tension to pull it one way or the other.

Can clean the glue off while wet with acetone, or wait until it foams up and dies. Then cut it off with a sharp chisel. The join will end up under one of the polished stainless steel bed strips, hence why I did the layout at the start.

I routed the edges the thickness of the bed sides where it sits on the floor. This will leave it all flush once installed.

I first painted the edges and routed parts with pink enamel timber primer before my wife top coated it with black enamel. None of it will be visible once the sides have been fitted and is just to preserve it.

As the chassis is 100mm-4" higher than stock, I will sit the floor directly on top on the frame. I have welded on brackets to bolt the floor directly down and means I have not lost any internal height at all as not using a subframe.

I have fitted nutserts to all the brackets to make fitting the bolts much easier. The bolts will hold the bed sides down through the floor and into the brackets. I have placed the sides on top of the floor as less likely to get water trapped along the edge.

The floor is 1290 mm wide by 1860 mm long, 4'3"x6'1". Certainly not as nice looking as the polished timber floors that are on show trucks, but very practical and will not be seen anyway as I will be making a hardcover for the bed. Also surprisingly weighs less than the stock pressed steel floor even without taking the extra subframe into account that it would need.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 02-21-2021, 08:59 AM

Sorry Marcus, I may have missed something,... how will you access the battery once the deck is in place?
Old 02-21-2021, 05:00 PM

That was my next question!

If it slides sideways there needs to be slack in the cables.

No doubt Marcus has it well covered.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:29 AM

I fitted V bands each side of the resonators and they are dropped out of the way before the battery comes out from underneath. Can remove the cables before dropping it down.
I always plug in a maintenance charger the moment I pull up in my vehicle as don't drive often and still get nearly 10 years out of a battery.
We only have the one vehicle, another Jeep, and it would only get driven once a fortnight. I don't commute and my wife uses a train and bus to get to work every day. I hike to do the grocery shopping etc 3 times a week and carry it home in a packpac rather than use the Jeep. Keeps myself and the dog fit.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:17 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

I figured that you had planned for the battery removal. With all the planning that has been required for this project, and very few do overs, your success rate is very high.

Thanks again for all the time taken to share this with our members!

Steve
Old 02-27-2021, 05:34 AM

I have bolted down the stainless bed strips. I have used these fasteners which can be found under names like furniture bolts, sleeve nuts, flat head bolts and even sex bolts!

I buffed and polished the heads to match the shine of the strips. I made sure to use fasteners that had a lower profile head than the ribs on each side so things would slide over them and not get caught.

Improves the looks and the function of the bed floor.

I left a gap at the this end as I will flush mount the tailgate over the floor to shorten the overall length back to stock from the axle centreline. A seal will be on the underside of the tailgate and sit behind where the strips end.

Of coarse my inspectors had to approve of the job! The button head M10 bolts around the sides hold the floor down and will go through a flange on the sides once they have been made.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
I
Of coarse my inspectors had to approve of the job! .
They think you're building a dog house.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:53 AM

This "Dog" would gladly live in that "Dog house-to-be" if we could arrange shipping to the USA !!!

Old 03-01-2021, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack 1957 View Post
They think you're building a dog house.
Ha ha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
This "Dog" would gladly live in that "Dog house-to-be" if we could arrange shipping to the USA !!!

Good to hear.

Old 03-07-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Of coarse my inspectors had to approve of the job!

Looks like you passed the CAT scan!