All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-26-2022, 10:09 PM

Default New to Pullmax machines

Hello. I'm Tony. Looking to purchase a pullmax machine for my business. I have been searching and found this group. Hoping that I can get some help educating myself from everyone here. Looking forward to learning .
Old 09-29-2022, 03:23 AM

Hello Tony and welcome. Lots of Pullmax info on this site.
You don't specify what you intend doing with your Pullmax and as you probably already know, some of these machines are better for metalshaping than others. IMO, the P-21 series is best suited to the purposes of metalshaping particularly due to its optimal gap (daylight) between upper and lower tool holders.
Happy hunting for your machine...

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.

Last edited by metal manny; 09-29-2022 at 03:24 AM. Reason: omission
Old 10-02-2022, 07:46 PM

Thanks for the input. I really don't know which machine is better than the other. One of my reasons for joining was to learn more.
Not exactly which machine is better for what processes.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:29 PM

Default Models

There are many different models of machines, and a variety of opinions on which is the best. To truly give an opinion, knowing what you are trying to do with it would be needed.

The machines were sized based on their shearing ability. But most people here don't use that capability much, they are usually used for sheet metal forming operations.

Basically - there are the smaller machines which will form automotive thicknesses of sheet metal. And being smaller, they can be put on casters, operated with 110V on a VFD, etc. Most use 5/8" tooling.

The medium sized machines - P5, P6, are a little large for casters and will take up a fair amount of room. Their throat heights are the same as the smaller machines, and if doing a deep dish form, the throat height can become an issue. Most use 3/4" tooling which seems to be the most common.

Large machines - P7, P9 - can get massive and many shops don't have the room. They use 7/8 and 1" tooling.

One of the most desirable models is the P21 - it has a taller throat height. And there are a number of desirable options - air lifter and duplicator attachment. It uses 3/4" tooling.

Before someone corrects me - all the tooling is metric, not SAE. Also, I'm not covering every machine, just some examples.

One important thing to look at is the input power - there's some odd balls out there.

The rarest of machines, that has more throat height, are the Trimmer models. Rare = expensive.

Before you invest, go to one of the metal shaping work shops - even if you have to travel - and use one. They can do a lot of interesting things, but are not the be all and end all.

One thing they are not is a hammer. Try using one as a hammer and be prepared for a repair bill.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 10-09-2022, 09:27 PM

Mostly I would be using it to reproduce sheet meta/ aluminum l panels. A duplicator would definitely table would be a big benefit as well.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:33 AM

Tony, I'm pretty sure most of the Pullmax models could easily be used for panel duplication. Really, it all depends on which machines come up for sale when you're ready to move and if they are tagged at a price you're prepared to pay. Again as previously mentioned by other posters here, some of the bigger units (P-9's etc.) are very heavy behemoths and take up copious real estate.

My P-21 is also quite large and pretty heavy, yet mounted on urethane tread castors which is a plus. When I bought mine, I didn't know that there were various models to choose from, so bought the first machine which presented at a machine tool dealer. And as luck goes, I was most fortunate to cop a P-21 which had hardly been used!

Also of possible interest, the P-21 motor is a 3-phase dual voltage 380/220V specimen which allows it to run it on a single phase to 3-phase 220V VFD. I suspect that motors fitted to other Pullmax series machines could also be dual voltage capable... Remember to wire the motor in "star" configuration for 380 and in "delta" for 220V supply.

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.

Last edited by metal manny; 10-10-2022 at 10:36 AM. Reason: new info