All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Todd: I think that what Peter is recommending is to place the horizontal piece on top of the vertical piece but slide the edge back about half way so that you have the corners of both pieces are exposed with the ninety degree valley created by sliding it back from the edge. Weld down the valley melting both corners as the filler without rod. I know that this would be really tough with the thin material that you are using. Give it a try on some coupons with some thicker stock.
If you have gas welding available,I would recommend practicing with that so that you can get a feel for watching and moving the puddle of molten metal. It is all about the puddle. Gas takes dipping the tungsten out of the equation. Practice on some scrap flat stock just running some puddles. Then do some more adding rod as you go. Then go back to your tig and run some beads. Now you have to keep the tungsten out of the puddle and the rod. It all takes practice. You may have seen the welding that I did on a little aluminum project that I posted here in the last week or so. I was way out of practice. Probably hadn't done aluminum in a year. I fouled my tungsten a bunch of times.
Do some practice runs and then go back to your wheel tubs and run your puddle to clean up your welds. You have enough metal laid down so don't add any more. Just go back over what you have but focus on the puddle. Clean it up with a clean stainless steel brush before you reweld.

Here is a video that shows the positioning of the metal. I watch every video that he puts out. Buy a tig finger or two from him. You need to prop your hands to steady the torch and the rod. Getting a good prop is difficult. Watch his videos and see him do practice sweeps to test his prop before he welds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiWSZ...4MAwx5nsN4H0QO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e92EY...4MAwx5nsN4H0QO

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com

Last edited by mr.c; 04-10-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: add video url