All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Todd,

Any intermittent draw after a restriction in the supply will cause a fluctuation in the uses sharing that supply. Your feed to the house might be too small or the main-breaker, power box, or even the wires to the neighborhood. The restriction will be closer to the source of power than where both the welder and the TV & lights are. To test You might read voltages and see in which areas the voltage drops but it'll be difficult to test the voltage in the feed wires to the house. I know wattage is probably the problem but the voltage component is the easier one to test.

If you're on the end of a feeder line 2-1/2 mile from the transformer, that might be the problem. Or if you have both the house and the shop on a 60 amp round base meter look there. Some you can fix, Some you cannot. You'll have to judge yourself.

You'll notice the same thing on the sprinklers if your pipes are too small somewhere up-line.

Last edited by Doug M; 04-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

I would not do this type of job with the welded corner with the mig, simply because you will be adding metal rather then fusing it together. When you crush the weld down you would most likely get a valley between the weld and the panel that you can never get rid of, simply because the mig wire is too hard
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug M View Post
Todd,

Any intermittent draw after a restriction in the supply will cause a fluctuation in the uses sharing that supply. Your feed to the house might be too small or the main-breaker, power box, or even the wires to the neighborhood. The restriction will be closer to the source of power than where both the welder and the TV & lights are. To test You might read voltages and see in which areas the voltage drops but it'll be difficult to test the voltage in the feed wires to the house. I know wattage is probably the problem but the voltage component is the easier one to test.

If you're on the end of a feeder line 2-1/2 mile from the transformer, that might be the problem. Or if you have both the house and the shop on a 60 amp round base meter look there. Some you can fix, Some you cannot. You'll have to judge yourself.

You'll notice the same thing on the sprinklers if your pipes are too small somewhere up-line.
I talked to my handman and he told me to check my grounds for the welder breaker and the ground for the TV breaker. I tightened the ground screws although they were not loose at all.
I changed the way I ground the wire for the welder. That didn't help either.

I'm not going to mess with it now. I want to finish these wheel wells so i can move on with the car...

I will post pictures of the second wheel tub I made using 20 gauge steel