All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-07-2022, 01:42 PM

Very nice work, I love the 507 and am living vicariously through your build!
Old 01-15-2022, 07:07 AM

Thank you!

Well gang, I just returned from a trip up to the Philly area and visited with member Rick Mullin who graciously showed me his incredible work at his shop. We then proceeded to visit another shop restoring a 507 which I was allowed to crawl all over, photograph, and take measurements from for a few hours. I must have taken a couple hundred photos easily.

Concluding all of this was a pile of notes Rick gave me from his work restoring several 507s over the years. An incredible opportunity, amazing generosity, and a visit I’ll never forget. Rick, thank you!!!!!

I won’t post any pictures of the visit out of respect of the owner, but the work being done is top notch. I got all the info I need and a cool thing is the owner and the shop are very intrigued by my project and want updates as I move forward. Very flattering and motivational.

Updates this week! I had to stop to build a garage bay on my shop for extra space. Just got done wiring up the 125A sub panel so now there’s power!
Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021

Yes, Dave. You're good at consulting your idea with an experienced one. It's great that they passed on their knowledge to you. It should be like that.
Old 01-16-2022, 04:15 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Thank you!

Well gang, I just returned from a trip up to the Philly area and visited with member Rick Mullin who graciously showed me his incredible work at his shop. We then proceeded to visit another shop restoring a 507 which I was allowed to crawl all over, photograph, and take measurements from for a few hours. I must have taken a couple hundred photos easily.

Concluding all of this was a pile of notes Rick gave me from his work restoring several 507s over the years. An incredible opportunity, amazing generosity, and a visit Iíll never forget. Rick, thank you!!!!!

I wonít post any pictures of the visit out of respect of the owner, but the work being done is top notch. I got all the info I need and a cool thing is the owner and the shop are very intrigued by my project and want updates as I move forward. Very flattering and motivational.

Updates this week! I had to stop to build a garage bay on my shop for extra space. Just got done wiring up the 125A sub panel so now thereís power!
Sounds like the perfect day out.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 01-16-2022, 09:05 AM

Had a great visit from Dave. What a nice guy. It is quite the project that he has taken on. His enthusiasm is unbounded. He definitely has the skills and the desire to learn more. This car is going to be a big success. I am anxious to watch it develop.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:04 PM

Thanks guys, and again, Thank You Rick!!! A fantastic time!

Iím anxious to get up to Jimís next month to get the hands on the metal and really absorb his knowledge on shaping. And when you get classes going again, count me in!

Cheers
Dave
Old 01-17-2022, 11:00 PM

I love the project and is making me think about starting a project too. I am fortunate to have the v12 engine, front susp and rear susp from an 89 bmw 750il. I have been considering a bmw project to plug this equipment into. Just wondering what your engine bay research reveals about potential under hood space?
I love watching, learning and being inspired by other peopleís projects
Old 01-19-2022, 08:01 AM

Hi Dom,

Iím not sure the dimensions of the V12 BMW motor, but thereís definitely not a whole lot of space in the engine bay of the 507. It will fit a small block Ford or Chevy, but other than that Iím not sure. Elvisí car was fitted with a 327 Chevy during itís lifetime. The fitment is an issue if youíre building the chassis to replicate the original as I will be. I think with anything custom fabricated, you can make it fit. I was contemplating using a Bimmer drivetrain, but I donít know anything about the electronics and wanted to stay more original to the look: a small carbureted V8. Perhaps if I build another body out of aluminum and build a second car Iíll make it all BMW inside. But I have to make this one first!

Cheers
Dave
Old 01-24-2022, 10:26 AM

Been doing a lot of fine tuning of the front end these past few days after reviewing the photos from the visit with Rick from the 507 being restored at a local shop he took me to. I'm thinking of having the grilles sent out to be casted so I'm looking into sources for that. Have to weigh the costs involved, of course.

Name:  IMG_20220124_083517887.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  56.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20220124_083313381.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20220124_083119714.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20220124_083058938.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20220124_083628656.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  55.2 KB

Lots of cutting and splicing but I'm happy with the fitment now. Driver's side fender is formed, and I can't wait to get to Jim's to learn more! Speaking of that, don't look at the cowl panel. That's just an exercise to see what I don't know!

I printed off the trunk panel too. Amazing to me the detail with these things!

More to come.

Cheers
Dave
Old 01-24-2022, 11:34 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Been doing a lot of fine tuning of the front end these past few days after reviewing the photos from the visit with Rick from the 507 being restored at a local shop he took me to. I'm thinking of having the grilles sent out to be casted so I'm looking into sources for that. Have to weigh the costs involved, of course.

Attachment 62451

Attachment 62452

Attachment 62453

Attachment 62454

Attachment 62455

Lots of cutting and splicing but I'm happy with the fitment now. Driver's side fender is formed, and I can't wait to get to Jim's to learn more! Speaking of that, don't look at the cowl panel. That's just an exercise to see what I don't know!

I printed off the trunk panel too. Amazing to me the detail with these things!

More to come.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,
The German autos of the 1950's had a neat talent for chrome-plating aluminum - sure gave us some headaches when restoring that era trim/brightwork....
I would think that chromeplating what you print up would be appearance-acceptable?
Working out your fasteners is a separate mechanical challenge.... though I'd think you would have a good set of usable parts ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.