All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Default A High Corner

Hi Folks, it's been awhile since i have been on the site, i keep getting too many project that aren't metal shaping. Still learning and trying. Right now I'm making some small sections to repair a TR3 front fender. I have a wheel but a very low cost Lancaster style shrinker. I will attach some pics of the piece I am working on. This is the front curved area of the front fender. I am working on the piece on the right in the pics. I can't get that lower right corner to come down flat on the model. And i will be wiring the edge so I want to get it down before i wire it. Can you help me to do what is necessary to get the piece to lay evenly on the model?

Copy of DSCF2697.JPG

Copy of DSCF2700.JPG
Thanks, Dave.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Dave
when looking at where the new panel is contacting the old one,it tells me that the center of the new panel needs to be stretched on the wheel more. When the middle rises up it ill allow the edges to drop down closer to the old panel.
Shrinking only at the edge with the Lancaster type will not get the shape that you need.

Go slow and keep checking your progress.

steve
Old 11-11-2014, 06:05 AM

I'm with Steve, more crown on the black line. Needs curve to bring the edge down.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:59 AM

The confusion can come from how you are "seeing" the shape.

Always change your form (arrangement) first to get the best fit you can without changing the shape. (hint: "it never has as much shape as you think it does")

Form isn't a permanent change and can be taken out if your approach is not correct....form is your friend. If you change the shape incorrectly then your in for a fight to reverse what is now effectively "damage" to the panel.

Don't think of the corner as having to "go down"....if you were to push on all four corners with equal pressure so they were all floating off the buck equally it would then show the right view of the next task.

Raise the center point that is touching with all corners off and leave the edge alone.

Just my view

Last edited by KAD; 11-11-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Default High Corner

Thanks for the help. I think I understand about raising/stretching it more along the black line. But it is probably my lack of understanding about using the wheel that is holding me back. You see this is my second attempt at this part. One the first one I got to about this point and then wheeled some more to raise in this area and I ended up with the area of the black line being raised to much and I had a longitudinal hump that I couldn't get out. So I did wheel in this area again and the corner wasn't coming down so I stopped. Decided it was time for some advice.
So maybe I need to use a different anvil. Also I'm thinking that I should only wheel about 2/3 the way towards where the vise grip is. The other end of the piece is fitting well. But having said that, I am worried that more wheeling along the black line will change the way the front is fitting. Would there be any benefit to wheeling perpendicular to what I have been doing ? Thanks, Dave.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, April 2011, December 2012, May 2016

Hi Dave,

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but you may reach a line in your panel beyond which it becomes a slight reverse, and if so, to bring that edge down to your model you would have to stretch that edge a little. I can't see whether or not that is actually the case. You could lay a piece of paper on that part of the model and see if the edges of the paper seem loose on the metal or if the center of the paper seems at all baggy. The second of these two conditions would suggest that there is a reverse there.

www.markgoodenough.com
Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Default A High Corner

Hello again. Just wanted to let you know how it came out. And thanks for the help. Ultimately I did have to shrink that lower edge just a little bit. Each time I wheeled more in the center longitudinally i got a little hump or high spot running front to back. It seemed to me that for about an inch and a half in along the bottom that there really is no shape there. It is flat right there in from the wired edge. But it does curve as in a radius cut away from you in the picture. As I needed the middle portion to curve longitudinally and laterally, since it is curving both ways the metal on the edges has to get smaller. I put paper on it to see that. Since I couldn't raise the center anymore without getting a longitudinal ridge, I did put the edges in the shrinking jaws just a little. Maybe as my skills with the wheel get better I won't have to do that. It's not perfect, but I think I can use it. I still think I have a little too much stress in it, if that makes any sense, in that I am pulling it down just a wee bit with the clamp. any other advise I am all ears, and really want to learn. Thanks. Dave.

DSCF2703.JPG

DSCF2705.JPG

DSCF2704.JPG
Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 AM

Hi Dave, It's good that you got it sorted, and to know what you did to rectify it, makes it all worth while.

Yesterday I learned from my mistakes, So I left the job alone went for a ocean swim, then came back and made a whale today.
There are just times when you need to take a break, walk away, clear the head then come back to it, and the it CLICKS. And that feels good.