All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Dropping Corners

Hello everyone. Well I am pretty new to the forum and to metalshaping. I have been reading the forum for quite awhile but I am just learning metalshaping and have not been working on anything. I started a piece in the english wheel just for practice. I will try to post a pic. But to discribe, imagine the dog leg of a rear fender on an old British TR3. I am just using a 1' X 1' square piece for practice. I want to roll the leading edge about 1 and 1/2 to 2" from the edge to almost 90*. I believed I could do it on the wheel by using a high crowned anvil. Then I will wire the bottom edge and the trailing edge to simulate going into the rear wheel arch. Actually the Triumph bottom edge isn't wired but I thought it would be good practice. MY PROBLEM is that as I wheel from top to bottom in the area of about 1" to 4" from the left leading edge, the top and bottom left corners keep dropping more than the center portion of the left edge. I can't get the whole left edge to come down evenly. Any help is greatly appreciated. I am going to attempt a picture. Thanks, Dave.

Copy of DSCF2293.JPG
Old 10-13-2013, 04:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Dave to avoid the panel from ''dropping'' you need to support it with your hands on each side (front and back) while you wheel it rather then side to side and swap the panel around each finish run
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 10-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Are you wheeling all the way off the panel? Watch this,think it might answer your question.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hePmCEj...%3DhePmCEjDSu4

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the help. I will go back and practice both your ideas. To answer Johns question, yes I was trying to wheel to the very edge of the panel on each track. I thought that was what I was suppose to do. There were at times when I got it severly out of "arrangement", (i think that is the right word). Surprisingly to me I was able to get it back to pretty semetrical because now it sits on the bench top with all four corners touching the bench top at the same time. So here is another concern. Right now the panel seems to have alot of tension in it. Like I have wheeled it alot. In order to keep working with it, should I have a way to relieve the tension?? Dave.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by handshaper View Post
Thanks for the help. I will go back and practice both your ideas. To answer Johns question, yes I was trying to wheel to the very edge of the panel on each track. I thought that was what I was suppose to do. There were at times when I got it severly out of "arrangement", (i think that is the right word). Surprisingly to me I was able to get it back to pretty semetrical because now it sits on the bench top with all four corners touching the bench top at the same time. So here is another concern. Right now the panel seems to have alot of tension in it. Like I have wheeled it alot. In order to keep working with it, should I have a way to relieve the tension?? Dave.

use very very light pressure and come out on all of the edges that should relive the tension
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Dropping Corners

Well I went by that old adage, "right or wrong do something". Following your advice I did get the left edge alittle straighter but still couldn't keep the corners from being lower. So I looked at it an thought since I was trying to raise the corners, maybe I could shrink the center. (of the left edge). I used a Lancaster style shrinker. I was completely surprised by what happened. Instead of the shrinking pulling it down, it raised it making the line worse. So I thought, if shrinking it makes it raise, then why can't I raise it on the wheel. I went back and ran just the left edge thru the wheel running the wheel parallel to the edge, and also perpendicular to the edge. This did pretty much nothing. I thought why can't I raise this in the wheel. I gave up using the wheel on it and put the left edge thru the stretching jaws and this pulled the edge down flat all along its length. I'm at a loss as to just what exactly happened here. And I never could get the wheel to give me the tight radius I wanted in the left side of the panel. Even with the high crown anvil. I eventually just clamped to a T-anvil and just pulled it tighter. I don't have a pattern I was just practicing, so making more adjustments to this is hard to judge.
I will now try to flange part of the bottom edge, and wire a radius curve on the right edge. Any opions are gratefully accepted. Dave.

DSCF2298.JPG
Old 10-19-2013, 03:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2020

The problem your having is just understanding what shape you want. The shape you are hoping for is made by just bending the sheet. No stretching. No compound curve. No wheeling needed. Although it is not how a front portion of the fender you mentioned is made. It will need to be a compound curve for that fender front. Made by shrinking and stretching.

Putting a compound curve in a square or rectangle sheet will always have it's corners touching a table top and it's edges up off the table top. The higher the crown the more the corners will hang down. But yet the shape is a bowl shape or sphere shape.. If you wanted that shape to sit with all it's edges touching the table top, you have to trim off the corners till it does. ( The same as if you had started with a round sheet)

curve compound curves.jpg
Old 10-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Default Dropping corners

Thanks Richard. i understand what you are saying. And yes I understand that, that part of the fender will have to have a compound curve that is why I didn't just bend it to begin with. But I didn't understand what to do with the corners. I'll keep practicing. Thanks again, Dave.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
put the left edge thru the stretching jaws and this pulled the edge down flat all along its length. I'm at a loss as to just what exactly happened here.
Dave what happened is that you stretched the center with the wheel. This made the start of a bowl shape. As Richard said, that was a panel that only needed bending or a slight crown. To get the edges flat you needed to stretch the edges to make your panel flat(er).
Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Practicing

Thanks everyone for the pointers. I went back to the basics. I started to raise a pie shape on a 12 " square panel. I had a pic but deleted it by accident. That practice went well and I realized that in that pie piece was the shape i was looking for so I attempted another practice dog leg and it shaped up pretty good. but when I wired the edge it got out of shape. My latest practice is a quarter section of a cycle fender. I wanted to practice wheeling the shape and the crown as well as practice wiring an edge and also to practice raising a spear pattern in the end of the fender. Here are some pics of what I did. I am still having trouble wheeling a crown as high as I want it. and it seemed that when I wired it that it took some of the crown out of it. Also it seems to me that I beat the heck out of it. I need to learn how to not have so many marks in it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Copy of DSCF2301.JPG

DSCF2429.JPG

DSCF2431.JPG

DSCF2434.JPG

DSCF2435.JPG