All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-17-2022, 06:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Big congratulations Marcus. Will you park in the garage like this every day? Great sound, I hope with the ride.
I remembered a colleague I met briefly. In 1976, he loaded the dismantled Tatra 12 into a plane. He assembled it in New York and set out for Alaska. He was hit by a truck in Tennessee. He transported the Tatras back to Prague. On the 4th floor of the housing estate in the children's room he repaired the Tatra. Then he dismantled it again. He carried it out in parts and assembled it in front of the house. He repeated the journey from Prague to Alaska and back with another Tatra 11 car in 1978.
At a time when it was not possible to move freely to a neighboring country in Europe ... it was a good recession. They negotiated everything step by step so that they could leave.
It reminded me of your move from a small room. But if you made wider fenders ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHWk1Xd54I
Old 04-18-2022, 02:04 AM
Administrator

Congratulations, Marcus, you must be over the moon being able to drive it at last! A real testament to your hard work and skill.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:04 AM

WOW!

Serious pucker factor skating it out of the shop! The widening you did was close to the limit!

Exhaust note is spot on in my opinion.

By clock spring I assume its the one in the steering column, so some of your controls are amiss?
Old 04-18-2022, 05:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fox View Post
Great video Marcus. Sounds fantastic going down the road.You should have put a shout out on here. I would have come over and given you a hand. To guide you out of your workshop.
Thanks for the offer mate. Maybe once it is painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Man, does she look good taking off down the road.

Well done.
Congrats.

What is meant by clock broken? Time of day clock or something else? The clock needs to be working to pass safety inspection?
Clock spring in the steering column which transfers the power into the steering wheel. As the horn is there, it is a roadworthy item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Myres View Post
Wow! What a triumph of perseverance, skill and design talent!

Congratulations cobber; what a fascinating car,

Cheers Charlie
Thank you Charlie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Beautiful Marcus,
Good thing your not into airplanes you would never get one out of the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Big congratulations Marcus. Will you park in the garage like this every day? Great sound, I hope with the ride.
I remembered a colleague I met briefly. In 1976, he loaded the dismantled Tatra 12 into a plane. He assembled it in New York and set out for Alaska. He was hit by a truck in Tennessee. He transported the Tatras back to Prague. On the 4th floor of the housing estate in the children's room he repaired the Tatra. Then he dismantled it again. He carried it out in parts and assembled it in front of the house. He repeated the journey from Prague to Alaska and back with another Tatra 11 car in 1978.
At a time when it was not possible to move freely to a neighboring country in Europe ... it was a good recession. They negotiated everything step by step so that they could leave.
It reminded me of your move from a small room. But if you made wider fenders ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KHWk1Xd54I
Will park it in the garage and not the workshop. That was always the plan and why I built the garage, that is in front of the workshop, for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galooph View Post
Congratulations, Marcus, you must be over the moon being able to drive it at last! A real testament to your hard work and skill.
Thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry4406 View Post
WOW!

Serious pucker factor skating it out of the shop! The widening you did was close to the limit!

Exhaust note is spot on in my opinion.

By clock spring I assume its the one in the steering column, so some of your controls are amiss?
Yes mate. Must have a working horn. Stereo controls etc also work through it, but that doesn't matter if they work or not.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:29 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Thanks for the clock spring info.

Now, get out and drive that baby.............a lot.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154

Last edited by 123pugsy; 04-18-2022 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:43 AM

That is just super, Marcus. Enjoy it for a long time.
Old 04-18-2022, 12:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Awesome job and accomplishment! Luckily you didn’t widen that thing another inch!!ha

You mention worrying about getting through the final inspection…..if this vehicle is a worry, there should be no vehicle there that ever passes! The attention to detail, everything being thought out and done 110% properly is just astounding. Great job again, great feeling, and a milestone for you to be at!

Dane
Old 04-18-2022, 01:39 PM

I watched the video. That beast looks and sounds great. Well Done!
Old 04-20-2022, 04:59 AM

Many thanks guys.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:14 PM

Heard the steam trains running past from my house, so decided to duck out and try and get some shots between the showers of rain. Not great conditions for photography, let alone driving a bare metal truck!

It was coming in pretty fast so hoped I could get a couple of shots in before he passed.

Nope, camera to slow to refocus!
This locally built steam train was built in 1943 and only five years older than the Willys!
https://www.steamrail.com.au/k183

Was the end of the line so took a shot while waiting for it to come back up the line. Drizzle had set in now too

What was cool that I got two steam trains to photograph as they had one at each end as had no where to turn them around and were doing a shuttle service back on forth on our line this day.

Coming from a standing start and on an uphill grade gave me more time to get some extra shots in.

Sorry for all the shots but couldn't pick which ones to leave out and played with a few filters and effects.

Wife thought she could help by taking shots with her phone as was faster, so took all of the portrait view shots.
The K190 was built in the same workshop in 1946 so only two years older than the Willys. Only just got back on the line too after a recent restoration.
https://www.steamrail.com.au/k190

The Willys was drawing a lot of attention from the passengers and the train engineers were giving it the big thumbs up as well!

Camera really had trouble, and my lack of knowledge, in these conditions, but least I got some 'atmosphere'.

Last edited by Gojeep; 05-11-2022 at 05:38 AM.