All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-14-2022, 06:07 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
At the same time, that same lack of knowledge denies them appreciation of the diligence and overall execution of the concept!
The guy doing the wheel alignment just thought it was a stock body on a new chassis. No idea any changes had happened at all. Once it is painted it will disappear all together for most people I think.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:31 PM

You know (and all of us), that’s all that matters.
Old 05-17-2022, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pehr View Post
You know (and all of us), that’s all that matters.
Exactly.

Old 05-17-2022, 05:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Absolutely stupendous job in every respect Marcus!
Old 05-18-2022, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Absolutely stupendous job in every respect Marcus!
Thank you so much Richard.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:40 AM

Just showing a few things that I have been working on while waiting to get it engineered. Just some small improvements.

Now that I have had a chance to drive it, I didn't like how far the throttle was from the kick panel. It is mounted to the donor firewall in the stock location, but think it was made to clear the transmission tunnel in a LHD.

Not the easiest to modify though.

I started by heating it up and slowing bringing it over. Refitted it but thought some more would be better. Well then it snapped! I already had a plan thinking this would happen, so time to implement it.

So I made a replacement from some steel tubing with the bottom cut out of it to form a channel. It has been epoxied on to the stub after it was built up to give more support as well as a deep rivet for a mechanical connection.

It has moved over about 50-60mm, 2"-2.5".

You can see I still have plenty of room but feels much more natural using it. I also fitted a cover over the dead pedal for better wear a tear and easier cleaning. It is from a Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee rear door sill was a perfect match. I also had made some templates and had custom floor mats made. Also increased the size of the brake pedal and is now the same size as my other Jeep.

The exhaust flanges that were the last thing hanging below the frame rails have been removed and replaced with band clamps. Much neater and seal really well and hold more firmly than the type of flange joints it had.

Another thing that showed up was that the fuel filler I had fitted stripped out when trying to remove it for the first time after driving it. The suction was enough to cause the handle release shaft to spin. So have replaced it with a cast stainless boat deck filler instead.

Since buying these wheels I had always planned to modify them to be more custom and less 'fussy'.

Came across these chrome centre caps meant for another wheel in their range, but fitted these perfectly. It actually tones it down a bit and more period to the build.

Another thing I didn't like was all the stainless bolts sticking out of the fake bead locks. So replaced them with black powder coated stainless furniture bolts to make them blend in more. Makes the ring look part of the tyre instead of the wheel and less offroad orientated. More classic looking too.

I also bought a set of the Jeep anniversary cast metal badges which fitted the centre caps exactly. Not sure on them yet though?

Close up of the wheel without the anniversary badges.

Close up with the badge in place.

Stock black plastic cap.

Old 05-23-2022, 12:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Awesome! You’ve done a great job of it. I know the feeling you have right now. It’s great to be on the home stretch.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:59 PM

You are going to look like the Sheriff, if you keep all of those stars!

Wonderful job! I love your meticulous attention-to-detail,

Cheers Charlie
Old 05-24-2022, 04:30 AM

Thanks guys.

I have also been asked what is involved in getting it engineered here in my Australian state of Victoria, others are similar, and this will give you some insight.

It is a huge inspection where every critical bolt head must be checked for the appropriate grade, size and even that it has at least 1.5 threads showing through the nut.

It is divided up into sections where brakes need to be compatible within the system and the engine power and weight of the vehicle etc.

Here is what they have to go through for every modification that is applicable to the build and modified from standard.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/in...bulletins/ncop

It has to pass the check list mentioned in NCOP 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11.

By using at least the chassis rails and front crossmember from the 1948 Willys Truck I have avoided all the extra testing and requirements of an ICV, Individually Constructed Vehicle. My engineer says it will take a week just to do the paper work and his liability insurance has to cover all that he approves as well in case something should ever fail and cause an accident.

Even after passing all this it has to be taken to another place for a certificate of roadworthiness and then both of those certificates are checked by Vicroads, our DOT in this state, and put over their pits to check to make sure everything has been done properly by those writing the certificates! It is all photographed by all three as well to make sure nothing is changed afterwards as well.

Vehicle identity has to be proven as well via the chassis number and make sure it was once registered in this country, or has an import approval certificate if brought in from overseas. Problem I face is that the different states have different systems and don't always know what was registered in another state, especially as this is pre VIN and the original 1948 Truck was off the road before everything was computerised!

Old 05-24-2022, 12:08 PM

Yeah, the Bigger the Government, the smaller the citizen.

You are obviously so irresponsible and lack attention to detail that I believe your project should be submitted to the UN for approval due to this project's prospective impact on Global Warming!

(A week's worth of paperwork ???? Appreciate your skills and intellect all the more for having to deal with this stuff!)