All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-19-2021, 12:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

"Now I know what a sweep is but use cardboard instead."

I'm sorry, did you mean cardboard? Cardboard ? Am I correct ? This will probably not be an ideal choice of material. (or I don't understand what you meant in translation)
Normal paper for enough to pack shipments. It must not be hard. It must be adaptable to the surface you are copying. I use wrapping paper. I glue the paper with carbody tape to have the shape of the part. Then I cut it so that it is straight again. I will redraw these changes on the plate. I have a default sheet metal shape and I know where to shrink or stretch the fibers. Peter is several years and experience further. There are many ways to achieve a result. You always need to think a lot.
Understanding the rule of paper is absolutely essential. Who does not understand does not know how to proceed. He doesn't know what's going on with the material and why.

I made several paper templates in this thread. Good shaping school. I think everything is shown very well there. Including several template variants. But paper is the winner in the accuracy of shape transfer and back control.
https://www.allmetalshaping.com/show...t=19171&page=2
Old 12-19-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
"Now I know what a sweep is but use cardboard instead."

I'm sorry, did you mean cardboard? Cardboard ? Am I correct ? This will probably not be an ideal choice of material. (or I don't understand what you meant in translation)
Normal paper for enough to pack shipments. It must not be hard. It must be adaptable to the surface you are copying. I use wrapping paper. I glue the paper with carbody tape to have the shape of the part. Then I cut it so that it is straight again. I will redraw these changes on the plate. I have a default sheet metal shape and I know where to shrink or stretch the fibers. Peter is several years and experience further. There are many ways to achieve a result. You always need to think a lot.
Understanding the rule of paper is absolutely essential. Who does not understand does not know how to proceed. He doesn't know what's going on with the material and why.

I made several paper templates in this thread. Good shaping school. I think everything is shown very well there. Including several template variants. But paper is the winner in the accuracy of shape transfer and back control.
https://www.allmetalshaping.com/show...t=19171&page=2
What I call posterboard is just thick paper. Not unlike what business cards are printed on. It can partially hold a fold done using a brake or crease from a fingernail, for example.

What I call cardboard is the corrugated brown stuff that anything commonly called a box is made of. In the context I intended to convey, what I would call a template or "go, no-go" gauge" appears to be what he called a sweep. A contour pattern intended to be held perpendicular to the surface and used to check shape at points along the length of a panel, for example.

For the shape where you used plastic, I might have used tape. I stated that in most cases in my experience, posterboard works best for me when fabricating or sometimes replicating parts. There are occasions when I reach for masking paper as well, normally for larger items. When time allows, I will read more of your thread but wish to keep my intrusion here minimal. Don't worry.
Old 12-19-2021, 02:14 PM

Ok, I just wanted to make it clear. It is very important. I also noticed my example. I didn't understand why the paper was put on the body. I didn't understand it, so I just didn't deal with it. I later found out that I didn't understand what to do with the sheet metal plate. Machine high guality and tools was bought, but I can't use it. That's quite a problem. Even economic.
I asked an experienced friend to explain me the "why" to the paper. He said, watch me do it and he showed me the whole thing. Many more times I considered it a useless process and then repaired my own damage. Today, I always start with paper. For more complex things, I'll take the time to think about the process.

It is very important not to underestimate this basis. Have the procedure explained, feel free to ask twice, don't be afraid to ask another independent expert. To show his way with paper. Then think about it and try your own way. Don't be afraid of failure.
That's why I wanted clarification, it's really a basic point.

Only then can you buy equipment that you can finance.
The next point is to shape to size.
If you are watching some videos where someone is shaping a beautiful thing and they are beating their breasts, it is a positive situation and it is necessary to be commended. At the same time, it is necessary to ask a question. Will you make the second piece the same way? When he does, he is good and deserves recognition.
And now the last challenge. Will you make a piece the opposite shape as the first one? If you do it ... You can talk about it now.

Before I could I can make the front fender for a small car in the opposite shape, I was very worried. It wasn't as easy as it seemed at first glance.

But I think I can talk a little bit about it. I shaped both front fenders for a pedal car and they are similar .....

Look at that thread I've described a lot of points.

Paper, paper and paper ....... Do not underestimate.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:29 PM

I do enjoy how you seek clarity across language barriers. This (pic below) is how I might begin to make the panel at my level of experience and tooling. I have to support an earlier statement made about starting out on a task that might best come later in the project, farther along the learning curve. Keeping it achievable helps maintain the enthusiasm curve and finish jobs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resizer_16399482575480.jpg (109.9 KB, 844 views)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Go through this series of videos that Wray put together. He walks you through everything you're tying to do, every step. If you follow his directions, you'll probably be surprised at the results.

Here's a link for part 1. There are 8 or 10 parts. Everything you need is right here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5pwdVEUnog&t=27s

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 12-20-2021, 01:30 AM

Yeah, yeah. The language barrier is a problem, but I hope it is understandable. The result is important. I'm better at talking with my hands.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2023

So here's the result of the first attempt at the front end. I'm going to try to make another one using larger panels and as suggested, Aluminum. I don't think it came out too bad being my first piece ever formed, and what a learning process!

I'm going to a fellow member's place in February to get some much needed hands on training and I'll be taking this along with me to remake another front end too.

This is really fun!!

Cheers
Dave

Name:  IMG_20211220_072924026.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  46.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20211220_073145402.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20211220_073250351.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  57.4 KB

Last edited by galooph; 12-22-2021 at 03:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Your welding and clean up look top notch.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 12-21-2021, 08:14 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2023

Thanks! Anxious to move on to more panels, and there’s some fine tuning to do on that nose, but don’t want to rush it and need to practice some more. The fenders being longer pieces I think will be easier, but I guess we’ll see. Looking forward to some hands on training in February.

More to come…

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-21-2021, 08:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

What tools do you have?
Stump? Mallets? Shot bag? E wheel?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154