All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-08-2019, 11:28 AM

Post Looking to expand my skillset

Hello all. My name is Johnny, and my shop is Whiskey Bay Customs. I am a Canadian living in North Carolina, I have been restoring and customizing classic vehicles for nearly 20 years now and have recently purchased my first reciprocating machine. It's a Gairu MB-5 Nibbler No.527. My hope is to get any information I can about the machine, company, anything really, so that I can get it up and running, expand my metal shaping capabilities and evolve into and even better builder. I look forward to interacting with so many talented metal shapers, and I hope to learn as much as I can.

Cheers!
Old 10-08-2019, 01:18 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Johnny
welcome to allmetalshaping

Steve
Old 10-08-2019, 08:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

Did you buy the MB-5 that was just on Greensboro(?) Craigslist? I bought a slightly larger Gairu MI-8 in Aug. we can talk more about them if you want to call, email or even get together. I'm in Spartanburg.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:33 AM

Thanks Guys.

I found this Gairu MB-5 on Craigslist and brought it home from Sanford NC.
I'm looking for any technical information that I can about it, which I already know to be easier said than done. I used a Phase-a-matic converter to wire it in and I got it up and running, but I'm currently at a standstill because I want to finish servicing it before I really get into using it. I know that it needs oil, and a good cleaning, but I don't know what oil it takes. I know that the tooling size is unusual and am looking for any common solutions. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

The po of my Gairu had no paperwork. He said he used 30w oil without detriment. I bought a copy of a Pullmax P7-P8-P9 manual from RockHillWill for comparable general information. My MI-8 uses 26 mm (1.04") tooling and only came with a set of slotting tooling. I have a section of 1" square stock and will make the tooling I need, whether with it or after buying actual 26mm square stock. You should be able to make whatever tooling you want and weld/attach it to appropriate dimension square stock.

There's a good range of Pullmax & similar machine models and tooling in Timothy Barton "Metalshaping the lost sheet metal machines #3", but the whole series is fantastic. Faye Butler's book on Pullmax machines & tooling is the benchmark book, especially regarding making tooling specific to sheet metal shaping. Eventually, I'll spend $75 and order one.

If you search internet industrial surplus, equipment liquidators & auction sources in Spain, you'll find the greatest number of used Gairu machines including MB-5, MI-8 and others. Some have pics of likes original tooling. In general, it's no different than regular Pullmax tooling. You can try asking questions to folks via those websites, but writing & speaking fluent Spanish seems to be necessary for any response.

I would like a manual for mine, but am not holding my breath. If it needed a full rebuild, I would be more concerned.