All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-04-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post

The exercise mentioned about putting a crown into a 12" square and then making it flat again will help you learn exactly what needs to be done to get it to where it needs to go. (I really need to try this myself, so yes, I'm guilty of bypassing something so important)
I think I will show this exercise at my upcoming meet.
is there a Youtube video of that somewhere
Old 09-05-2020, 03:45 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Never seen one before. I've just read about it on a couple of forums.

From what I remember reading:

The key is to put crown into a panel evenly as the first part. Maybe an inch high. The crown should be the same both ways with the four corners touching the table. Then, wheel the sheet perfectly flat again.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-05-2020, 09:10 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRiot View Post
I made some progress the other night. Looking at the first picture I wheeled in a different direction than i had been. I used a larger radius wheel, i believe it was the 6inch.
This helped some.

But then look at the second picture. I went tot he Shrinker to try and get rid of those wavy spots along that edge. And that created a pinch line and screwed up all my progress.

So i went back at it and got it pretty close again. I will do what MP&C says and hope that bring things together.

I almost feel like i need a flat wheel to flatten out that edge that would be closer to the wheel well.

Attachment 57378

Attachment 57379
When shrinking and stretching metal, it needs to be a gradual transition.
The shrinks you made only pulled at the edge of the panel, and did not shrink farther into the panel.
Stump or tuck shrinking would go deeper into the panel.
Looking at the top photo in this post the shrinks need go in to the left end of the orange horizontal lines.
A small amount of shrink at the orange lines.
More shrink as you move out to the edge. Think of it like a slice of 🥧, one shrink at the inner point, and two shrinks out one inch, three shrinks out two inches, four shrinks out at the crust.

You need to make some radius gauges to help see the flow and arrangement.
Get your Wheaton’s box a ✏️ and scissors, to cut a number of these to match your fender. 3or 4 of them from the fender mount area towards the wheel opening and a couple the long way of the fender. If the fender from the other side of the vehicle is in better condition make them off of it. Label them and mark their position on the fender and your new panel.
By using these you can see where your low spots are (outside surface), those areas that need to be stretched.
You are making progress keep trying and watch closely what is changing.
Only do a small amount of shrink and or stretch and recheck to see what has changed.

Steve
Old 09-05-2020, 06:13 PM

That exercise for flattening a curved piece was on a John Glover video

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 09-12-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.murphy View Post
That exercise for flattening a curved piece was on a John Glover video
I can positively confirm this as i purchase the book and did not find this lesson in there. An easy read though...
Old 09-12-2020, 03:42 PM

Default Simple question

First picture shows a radius gauge on the actual part i am trying to replicate. It measures about 5.0in radius.
So if i use my 4.5in Radius anvil and i just keep rolling in the same direction on this test sheet, won't the sides of the metal come down and eventually match the lower anvil? Meaning, if i use a 4.5radius anvil can i eventually form a 4.5in radius on this test panel?

20200912_192218971_iOS.jpg

20200912_191821266_iOS.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 09-12-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRiot View Post
First picture shows a radius gauge on the actual part i am trying to replicate. It measures about 5.0in radius.
So if i use my 4.5in Radius anvil and i just keep rolling in the same direction on this test sheet, won't the sides of the metal come down and eventually match the lower anvil? Meaning, if i use a 4.5radius anvil can i eventually form a 4.5in radius on this test panel?

Yes, due to "springback" in the metal, the panel will lay down going through the compressive pass and immediately spring back up to a lesser radius.
Harder metals have more spring-back.
I have seen some panels (work hardened 2024 T3) with a radius of 24 inches being shaped with a lower roll having a 30in radius.

... and with metal that hard there were zero marks ... on our polished thin aircraft top skin.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 09-13-2020 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Removing shape exercise is in John Glover's book as well....

This is the second half of John Glover's exercise I referenced in post #11: removing shape. Below is a scan of page 30 from John Glover's self-published book, hope I am not violating any copyright rules.

SO much more to be gleaned from this book other than this simple exercise. His stories are also quite engaging and worth a read.

Once again, I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone interested in learning the wheel...

Old 05-28-2021, 09:45 AM

I've been back and forth between other projects. Here is where i am at. I'm really struggling to get the final shape dialed in. See the pictures below.
The last image is what my plan of attack would be. Stretch that tight radius area to pull the material up and away from the fender hoping that will pull the flat portion of material (what would be the outer side of the fender) against the current fender. See the arrows in orange what i THINK needs to happen. Please let me know if I am wrong.
IMG_4031.jpg

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4033.jpg

IMG_4036.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 05-28-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

To me I would stretch the very edge at the top above the red lines you drew only. I think you have shrunk it too much there and releasing some of that you could then pull it over more even just bending it over your knee then.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.