All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Events
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM

Default UK metal shaper gathering possibilities?

There seem to be a good few new members from the UK and I've noticed that around 5 or 6 of us are based in and around the Midlands. I like the idea of the US metal events and wondered if there is anything like that going on over here at any point in time? If not, who would be up for something like it? I have a few ideas for a format, nothing fixed as yet, but thought it maybe nice for a few of us beginners to get together and talk things over, bash some metal and swap ideas. If there's any interest we could see about getting it organised for February/March time.

Let me have your thoughts on it.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a great idea to me

The US events always sound like a lot of fun.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

sound good to me
Old 12-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Forgive me for editing your posts to call it something besides "MetalMeet". That's those other folks... We call them Metal Shaping Events or Gatherings...my wife calls it my 'Tupperware party"

I hope you guys pull something off. There is no reason that even 4-5 of you can't get together and have a blast.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Hi Gareth,

Count me in. Just a matter of a suitable location and willing minds.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:29 PM

No problem Kerry, I just thought I'd use a recognisable term. It was what I put in as one of my searches, plenty of results for your side of the pond but none for here.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

The MM folks had a couple events a few years back before the screwup and split. I haven't heard of any recently in the UK. There has been a yearly one in Denmark for the past few years and one in Finland?? Norway??
Old 12-30-2013, 06:28 PM

I just have to say GO FOR IT !!

I have hosted the Norway Meet 8 times ! it's a blast, you learn a lot ! you get to know new metal shapers and you will have a great time !!

karlfredrik@unneberg-bil.no

Peter Tommasini DVD sett for sale
serie 1-3 http://www.unneberg-bil.no/product/193535
serie 4-6 http://www.unneberg-bil.no/product/193536
Old 12-30-2013, 06:44 PM

I would recommend you give it a go. About ten years ago I decided to host a gathering of metal junkies, flunkies, wanabes and masters here in Minneapolis. It was one of the very early meetings of the minds. Several people still involved in this forum stepped up to help.

What we did was think about how to contact a very large and diverse group of people who might be interested. Then we mailed out several hundred invites and asked folks to spread the word and invite anyone who showed interest.

We mailed to automotive hobbyists in the restoration, collectors, racers and owners groups. The same went for motorcyclists. Then the metalfab and welding shops we included. As much advance notice as possible is good. If you are thinking spring, this week is a good time to start. Don't waste time trying to find the "best" date. Pick a date and location and put the word out.

That worked here in Minnesota. Well over one hundred people showed up with equipment interest and tales to share. We all met many new people and established a network of people , many of whom are still involved and still gather throughout the year. Dan Pate, host of the ROUTE 56 EVENT twice a year, took over hosting the group several years ago. Thank You, Dan and LuAnn.

It has been a good group, now grown to encompass the entire midwest, some from across the country and some from over seas. The network is a wonderful resource. Allmetalshaping is the framework for communications; but the enthusiasm and cooperation of the group, both new and old, makes it all happen.

Best of luck.

Last edited by route56wingnut; 12-30-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Davies View Post
There seem to be a good few new members from the UK and I've noticed that around 5 or 6 of us are based in and around the Midlands. I like the idea of the US metal events and wondered if there is anything like that going on over here at any point in time? If not, who would be up for something like it? I have a few ideas for a format, nothing fixed as yet, but thought it maybe nice for a few of us beginners to get together and talk things over, bash some metal and swap ideas. If there's any interest we could see about getting it organised for February/March time.

Let me have your thoughts on it.
Hi Gareth,
Great for offering,I'm up for it, I'm presuming it would be on a weekend, I'm in Brum so not far away.
If you need sheet material my supplier is about £25 for an 8x4 steel 19g and aluminium about £40 ,1.5mm, Carling £25 a pack, I could bring it along as I've a big van, I could squeeze the metal in if there's any room left
If you need any help me know.

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!