All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-26-2012, 08:16 AM

Default uk tuck puck

Hi all,

I'm just starting I'm gonna buy some DVDs and books and get the hand tools to start having a go. I have read about people using stumps for stretching and shrinking I don't really have the tools or the experience to make my own, which was when I found the tuck puck which looks fantastic does anyone know if there is a uk stockist or do similar available in the uk.

Thanks

Last edited by Bugs; 12-26-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Craig, Carey Culpepper, who invented the tuck puck, will ship international.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Default TuckPuck®International sales

I sell direct and have no distributors. I do ship worldwide. I am shipping another one Australia today. There is a cart button on my website that adds in the additional shipping for international orders. Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail which is pretty quick even overseas.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 12-26-2012, 04:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2018

Default uk dvd

bugs if your after a good dvd i recommend david gardners i think theres a link from is web site classic metal shaping to purchase the dvd. its 1 of the best tools in my box good look carl
Old 12-26-2012, 07:43 PM

Thanx for all the replies guys Mr c I'll get one on order Carl I have seen the DVD and I'm going to order one been looking at ron covell too but that's proving difficult and expensive to find
Old 12-27-2012, 11:41 PM

Default Covell DVD's

Not hard to find, check ebay, amazon or just click below. FYI, he has a new one coming out where he makes more progress on the roadster he's building.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 AM

Excellent product and I have no vested interest!
If you are starting off, you dont need it!
Learn the basic bits, stump, tuck fork, hammer etc.
Then buy the better gear when you understand why it is better!
I got the basic principles of metal forming with a lump of wood shaped into a dish with a grinderette, a ball pein hammer and a flat heavy metal plate from scrap lorry chassis.
My original Tuck fork made from a knackered pair of "Vice grips" idea borrowed from an old chap who I used to know.
I say "old", but in reality 20 years younger than me now!
With this equipment, I managed to do a reasonable (for the 1980s) job with restoring various vehicles for myself and my then customers.
Standards and expectations have improved over the years, mine also, but the learning process is the same.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 AM

I have tried Amazon but most are out of stock or a lot more expensive than Dave Gardiner. I might buy the Covell DVDs later but the Gardiner seem much more hand tool and on the cheap friendly. But I do recognize they all have they're place and range off skills.

So to start me off I was gonna get the DVD, the height and low crown tuckpuck, and a selection of decent hammers. If anyone wants to add or advise be my guest
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Location: Coleman, Texas, a little town in the middle of the state.

Nothing against the Tuck Puck, but don't you have any large chunks of wood (Firewood, old blocking, heavy pallets, or cribbing wood) at your disposal??

Before spending money on tools, explore using what ya have on hand. Get used to improvising to accomplish what you need to do, as it is pretty much the way it is done by all except the guys fortunate enough to have amassed a shop full of tools. (They improvise as well, but on a grander scale than many of us.) Heck if you have a firewood pile your tucking stump might be that one piece you haven't been able to get up the energy to split small enough to use in the stove.

I guess it all depends on where you see this going for you in a few years. If you do go to buy a few tools I would get some nicely made body hammers and a couple of dollys first. (Carpenters hammers and ball peins can do the job but a proper hammer puts you miles ahead. )

And yes, David's DVD is pretty good. You will notice somewhere there he just uses a largish wood block as a stump. I am guessing maybe a foot by 8 inches, four inches thick. A couple minutes with a chainsaw or even a hand held skilsaw and you have your depression. Sanding it smooth might take a while.

There was also a youtube video a little while back of a guy making a bowl in some asian country that was incredible. Anyone have the link for that one? Great teaching video using normal stuff everyone can dig up.

And then there is the guy making VW bus panels with little more than a rock and a block of wood. but we won't go there...It is too depressing for us peons who aren't magicians yet.

Bill F.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
Hi all,

I'm just starting I'm gonna buy some DVDs and books and get the hand tools to start having a go. I have read about people using stumps for stretching and shrinking I don't really have the tools or the experience to make my own, which was when I found the tuck puck which looks fantastic does anyone know if there is a uk stockist or do similar available in the uk.

Thanks
HI Craig
Stretcing and shrinking on the wood stump is a good way to start and learn. I personaly reccomended
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM