All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Brent Likes

Default Brent Likes

Hello fellow metalshapers,

My name is Brent Likes. I live in Ottawa, Kansas and I grew up around old cars. My dad has been collecting cars for 30+ years and I got my first old car when I was 12 years old. It was a 1948 Ford two door sedan. I didn't have much money to build this car because I was so young at the time, but I did have some of my dads tools at hand along with some sheetmetal.

So, I began my journey of learning to make my own panels. The first thing I did was learn how to shape metal with hammers and dollies, once I figured out that process I began to learn more ways of shaping metal. Then I was introduced to the English Wheel, I had wanted one for years after that and eventually I built one in 2004.

When I was studying English wheel anvils I ran across Metalshapers.org where there is tons of knowledge on metalshaping, then I found Metalmeet.com, and now allmetalshaping.com.

As of right now I am interested in all types of metalshaping, metalshaping tools and theories. When I have some interesting metalshaping content I will try and post it. I like the thought of going to a regional MetalMeet. I have not been to any yet, but I need to get around to some eventually so I can meet other members.

I would like to thank the creators of this forum in keeping metalshaping on topic.

Thanks,
Brent Likes

Last edited by Brent Likes; 05-15-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Welcome aboard Brent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Likes View Post

I would like to thank the creators of this forum in keeping metal shaping on topic.
I hated all of the drama,so I wanted a site just dedicated to metal-shaping.
It's really Important to me.Enjoy the site we'll see you on the board.

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Brent Likes

Thanks Johnny,

I'm sure there are still plenty of new things to learn and discuss about metalshaping and its processes. I hope to learn alot here.

Brent Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Brent Your car past sounds like mine. I had a father that started me early too. I started machine and frame work first, then this metalshaping bug bit hard. Looking forward to seeing some of your projects.
Jeff
Old 05-16-2009, 01:50 PM
Brent Likes

Jeff,

My dad and I are planning on working on our 50 Ford Woody when we get it over to our shop. I have alot of sheetmetal panels to make for this car, but I need to get a few more sheetmetal shaping machines built before I start on it. We have about 50 cars in various places and they are all project vehicles that need repairs here and there.

Brent Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan. 2011, Nov. 2016

Sounds like you will be buisy for a while
Old 05-21-2009, 07:48 AM

Welcome Brent!

Sounds like alot of work in your future.

More than I could muster. Maybe Im just lazy.

BH
Old 05-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Brent Likes

Thanks for the warm welcome Bill,

I think I am lazy too, but I hope to start working on some cars in the near future. I just have to do it wisely and make sure I don't spend too much money because of the lack of liquid capital in the markets.

I have a weird work ethic, it consists of building things, such as machines for shaping metal, making parts etc, for a while. Then when my funding runs low I get into the design stage because design is cheap to do and it only cost me time.

Anyway, I can't wait to see some progress on your truck build. Those trucks have always been a favorite of mine.

Brent Likes