All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM

Question How do you form figure sculptures?

I've dug around this site a bit and learned how some techniques are done but I haven't found anything on how you make figure statues.

Some of the ones I've found around are these pictures and I am curious how you would go about making these forms? Are they from molds, free hand or that paper technique?

With the ones made out of nuts, I don't see any weld marks on the outside. Do you think its welded or brazed or some other?

I'm mostly just concerned with how these are assembled to such anatomically correct detail(the nut ones have defined musculature, etc) so I just presume its some kind of mold?

Would you just clean up the weld marks with a grinder then wire wheel and 180-600 sand paper and maybe buffer?

How would you seal the metal after the work is done? Wouldn't it oxidize and such from just being open to air?

Also, those people that are into scrap metal art, where is the best/cheapest place to get good/interesting scrap metal from? Junk yards might be good but seem like they'd be expensive. The ones around here don't let you strip your own pieces. I'm talking, gears, bearings, bike chains, hinges and such.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.