All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Comments and Suggestions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-26-2021, 09:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

Default Metalshaping

I want to thank anyone that had a hand in rescuing and preserving "The Lost Sheet Metal Machines" series by Timothy Paul Barton. William Longyard, John Alden, Kent White, Will Conkrite, Kerry Pinkerton and Dan Shady are listed in William's foreword in book #7 that he finished up.
I cannot tell you how many times I have pulled them out to find out about a technique or old metal shaping machine that might help with one of my projects.
My latest foray into becoming a member the Pullmax Owners Group according to HAMB is a case in point. Especially the description of the early series machines and the attachments. All the information in one place. I did get the owners and technical manuals for the P5/2, so PM if you have a need for any of that information.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:16 PM

Default Lost Sheet Metal Machines series

Thanks Eugene. It took a lot of effort and expense to save the books from the dump. Yup, after Tim died, the family was planning doing away with everything - long story.

I too find myself pulling them out for reference once in a while.

For those that are interested, there's a full thread discussing the Timothy Barton Lost Sheet Metal Shaping Machines book series.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:50 AM

Have been meaning to pick up a full set of these books. This is a good reminder.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

After Timothy Barton published his first book we somehow got in contact with each other. Frequent emails and phone calls later he had book #3 coming out. I paid him a visit during #4 and shared materials with him.
I've known several authors in my time doing metalwork. Dean Batchelor, for instance, researched a great deal for his Ferrari and Porsche books, and then again for his book on HAC.

I have to say that I know of no author who researched as thoroughly as Timothy Barton. I would suggest an obscure machine or technique I had seen in some dusty shop someplace and in 6 weeks he would have a definitive history of it!
He was an amazing one-man research-compilation-editing-publishing machine. He probably expired at his desk, happily chasing down another hint or clue.
We all benefit from Mr. Barton's long tireless efforts to compile and preserve the metalshaping knowledge.
Salute!

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 09-02-2021, 09:19 PM

Default Agreed

Kent is right, Timothy Barton did a ton of research.

But also, a lot of people in the metal shaping community sought him out to share what they knew after the first book came out. Although the dozens of boxes of files are a totally jumbled up mess, I have come across letters and some of the original materials that later found their way into the books.

What I’m sorry that was lost is the film he had that was to be made into a DVD. The family didn’t have any of the old footage…. I would have loved to produce a DVD for everyone as he had promised.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.