All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-16-2021, 05:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Going to make a one piece headliner like that of the Grand Cherokee donor as it is a modern theme inside the cab. I will incorporate the overhead console which has yet another CANBUS module inside of it.

Being still in lockdown, using up what I have collected for the steel off the roadside. Starting with some office furniture shelves!

Rolling a edge first over the stake dolly using a flipper.

Bent some wire in the shape I want the centre section to be and used the shrinker stretcher to follow it. Part of it must match exactly the factory overhead console insert.

The office shelf wasn't long enough so added to each end. Notice I narrowed the rolled over flange so the shrinker stretcher could do the tighter curve.

Next doing the section each side above the windscreen. Using the English wheel with a flat anvil to pull over to get a non-compound curve that I am after.

The door end is being rounded over to flow into the section that will go over the door. Shrunk the edge and then hammered it over this form I picked up years ago at the scrap merchant.

I made mounts welded to the cab frame to screw the donor sunvisors into. They also have the vanity mirrors that light up that the cab is already wired for.

Dug out the offcuts from the Willys bonnets I cut up to make my bigger version. They have some surface rust now as I never coated them with anything.

Cleaned them up using stainless steel wool from the supermarket, soaked in phosphoric acid. I will use these sections to go over the door openings.

I need to increase the compound curve to suit the rear corners. Hammering into a very old base from a steam powered gold stamper! Using just a cheap hardware store ballpeen hammer that I rounded the face on to make a blocking hammer.

I needed more shrink than the shrinker could give so going old school using a tucking fork that I made from a wreaking bar. Its great as has an adjustable angle to the shaft.

Hammered down the tucks being careful not to stretch the metal in the process. It is a real art and I need much more practise at it.

Smoothed out the tucks with a high crown anvil that matched the curve I was after. Making sure not to use much pressure as can stretch it all back out again otherwise.

The bonnet curve was too straight to suit the roof profile. So hammered more shape in an arc with the blocking hammer over the sand bag.

Wheeled out the walnuts and got the shape I was after.

Over the middle of the door opening I am fitting a grab handle so needed a flat area for that to sit in. Just clamped it down to the bench and chased in the profile using mainly rounded cold chisels.

The handle was over the back door originally and has a interior light and a coat hook. I already have the wire harness in place for that too.

When making the cab frame I already integrated the mount for the grab handle, so didn't have to make anything now for it. The next section will be along the back wall.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:30 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Looks good Marcus!
Using what you already have on hand makes good sense.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:04 PM

I crawled through this thread, and it's pretty interesting, to say the least. People on this site are some really ace metal workers! Me, not so much, though I've done a little.

I see that the OP is in Oz. Do you mean to tell me that you have to have custom work inspected by an engineer prior to putting it on the road, or is that something you did just to be safe? You wouldn't believe some of the wreckage I see on the roads here in the US, that should simply be slammed in the crusher and scrapped.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightning View Post
I crawled through this thread, and it's pretty interesting, to say the least. People on this site are some really ace metal workers! Me, not so much, though I've done a little.

I see that the OP is in Oz. Do you mean to tell me that you have to have custom work inspected by an engineer prior to putting it on the road, or is that something you did just to be safe? You wouldn't believe some of the wreckage I see on the roads here in the US, that should simply be slammed in the crusher and scrapped.
Hi I believe every stage of the build has to be engineered. And certificated even the welding has to be signed off on. It is very strict in Australia. I also believe different states here have some different rules. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:59 AM

We have very strict processes here and has to be all signed off by an engineer. Just this one check list he has to go through for suspension and steering will give you an idea.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/si...ov_2015_v4.pdf
Many more check lists for every non standard modification has to be signed off as well.

Old 10-17-2021, 04:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2020

A long time ago, the police stopped to ask me about the old fridge was rescuing from beside the railroad tracks. Of course, they thought I was dumping it, but I was taking it for some patch panels.
I like your idea of the tucking fork from the pry bar!
Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
We have very strict processes here and has to be all signed off by an engineer. Just this one check list he has to go through for suspension and steering will give you an idea.
https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/si...ov_2015_v4.pdf
Many more check lists for every non standard modification has to be signed off as well.
Thanks for the link; that is quite interesting! People do stuff around here (I'm in California) to where the vehicle is obviously unsafe, but it seems that they are essentially ignored by the law. Crazy.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:32 PM

G'day Marcus,

Different to what Marcus is doing but 3 TAC inspections for each of my Hotrods here in OZ before they are able to be on the Road.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 10-18-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmarks View Post
A long time ago, the police stopped to ask me about the old fridge was rescuing from beside the railroad tracks. Of course, they thought I was dumping it, but I was taking it for some patch panels.
I like your idea of the tucking fork from the pry bar!
I was keeping an eye out for an old 50's fridge as would have used the rounded corners from the door.

Old 10-18-2021, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
G'day Marcus,

Different to what Marcus is doing but 3 TAC inspections for each of my Hotrods here in OZ before they are able to be on the Road.
A few states have the 3 stage inspections but Victoria doesn't have them. Always best to run your ideas past the engineer you are going to use in the beginning regardless. Too many here suddenly drop by the engineer at the end all nicely painted and they can't then see quality of the welds or how the fish plates were done if they are inside the boxed rails like mine. I know some that have had to add new ones to the outside of the newly painted frame because of that reason!