All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-25-2020, 06:36 PM

Giday Matt,

My Knee jerk is to go for the Mig but I bought a Tig when I seen Danes Tig work and have been using it a bit and it's going alright.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secant View Post
"MIG is all we can afford."
My outlay in setting up to gas weld panel:
Auction-full size set of tanks, cart, Harris gauges, hoses, Starlite cutting torch $125.00
Yard sale-Victor CA2460 cutting torch (mint) $30.00
Western Enterprises flash supressors w/QD $15.00
Estate sale-full size tanks, cart, Meco gauges, hoses, Meco aviator jet torch+3 tips $45.00
2 pr. gloves $3.00
Tinmantech.com TM200 goggle lens $200.00
20lb. of steel & ss welding rod $5.00 (yard sale)
What is your point?

I work at a shop that provides only a MIG. I am not in a position to change that because you buy welding equipment at garage sales.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
Giday Matt,

My Knee jerk is to go for the Mig but I bought a Tig when I seen Danes Tig work and have been using it a bit and it's going alright.
Who is Dane?

Glad you are able to change welding methods if you please and are enjoying TIG. I am not.

MIG works for us. Why are you fellows pushing me away from it and the forum?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Master what you have.

Stick around Matt. I am impressed with your work. I marvel just as much when someone can build things from scrap with no budget and primitive tools as the things NASA builds.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post
What is your point?

I work at a shop that provides only a MIG. I am not in a position to change that because you buy welding equipment at garage sales.
The point? This:
One can equip themself with a gas welding setup, with some effort, at a modest cost and learn to properly weld panel on their own, regardless of "what the shop has".
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfunk29 View Post
Stick around Matt. I am impressed with your work. I marvel just as much when someone can build things from scrap with no budget and primitive tools as the things NASA builds.
Thanks. I think. Every job I have done fits within the capability of the equipment I have access to, and I can only do what I am tasked with. Hope you see what I have shown as somewhere in between the things you mentioned. I share your attraction to simplicity and appreciate your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secant View Post
The point? This:
One can equip themself with a gas welding setup, with some effort, at a modest cost and learn to properly weld panel on their own, regardless of "what the shop has".
What would be the point in that? To accept my job, I had to forget any future hobby activity. It was a tough decision but I have stuck with it to be around good cars and haven't missed many meals in nine years on one piece of concrete. "Proper" must be subjective. Thank you for your encouragement but correction is not what I came for.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:44 PM

I've always worked for companies, but I've always worked first for myself. Sometimes it meant buying my own tools or building on my skills by going to night school. I've always thought of it as an investment. It paid off for me.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norson View Post
I've always worked for companies, but I've always worked first for myself. Sometimes it meant buying my own tools or building on my skills by going to night school. I've always thought of it as an investment. It paid off for me.
Good for you. Strategy is individual. If you have a thread here about doing work on cars I can come share my life dogma there.
Old 03-07-2020, 09:23 AM

I have a torch and a mig. I enjoy the torch much more, but am better with a mig welder. Use what you’re comfortable with, I say. I watch my son TIG and see how little he grinds, if at all. Time is money. I’ll prob never shell out the money for a TIG, but am planning on more torch accoutrements in the near future. Because I would torch weld just for the fun of it.
Dave
Old 03-19-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ward View Post
I have a torch and a mig. I enjoy the torch much more, but am better with a mig welder. Use what you’re comfortable with, I say. I watch my son TIG and see how little he grinds, if at all. Time is money. I’ll prob never shell out the money for a TIG, but am planning on more torch accoutrements in the near future. Because I would torch weld just for the fun of it.
Dave
I have Mig, tig and a plasma cutter and really want to get a gas setup but after putting the Meco deluxe kit in my shopping cart I just cannot pull that trigger. I am having a hard time spending $900 plus the $400 for renting the gas cylinders. I mean my Tig was half that cost. I really want to gas weld but I think I might spend that money toward a Metal Lathe. I would have to still buy a second torch to allow me to cut which would be even more.

Anybody want to donate a low pressure torch setup to a soon to be retired US Airforce guy give me a call.