All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Transaxle mockup transitions to build

It was now time to figure out how wide the engine/transaxle package would be so that meant figuring out the bellhousing and transfer case between engine and transmission. Pete dug up a Ford bellhousing, it’s depth measured 7 inches and it had lots of unused “air space” inside. We could slice off the area making up the air space and go from there but that felt like a hack. Pete had some large billets of aluminum and decided to machine up a bellhousing from that.

For the transfer case, more aluminum billet was used.

You might guess that by now we’re transitioning from rough mockup into making parts for real. The outside half of transfer case shows this with some of Kevin’s nice CNC machine work.

You might also notice the mockup engine now has 2 heads on it. Pete found another core engine so there would be no worries about shaving off some metal and snuggling the transmission up even tighter.

As it turned out, the bellhousing and transfer case is about 7 inches deep, about the depth of a standard bellhousing. The transfer case still needs some doughnut shaped extensions on outside to hold bearings but these should be fairly thin. The length of the engine from front of damper pulley to outside of transfer case is about 33 inches. Even at 33” it’s going to be a tight fit into the chassis engine bay but we’ve made it as narrow as possible without going down to V6 or something. There’s no way we could have made a V12 this narrow.

I’ve got to give Pete Aardema and Kevin Braun credit and recognition for what’s been accomplished on the transaxle so far. Their talents are amazing and they’ve given the Miura project a huge shot of adrenaline. At this point, I felt we had enough engineering completed and information to know that the Strickland chassis would work. I’ve caught you up on project progress to-date and will give project updates more real-time as more progress is made.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:01 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

You've teamed up with a couple of world class gear heads. I've read about Pete's creations for years. Things are happening really fast with this project.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Joel, check your PM's.

This is right up there with Dan Pate's friend up in Minneapolis that is making a rear engine Indy Roadster type thing and build a V12 out of two turbocharged inline six cylinder (Supra???} engines. Custom block and crank. Bolts to a new Corvette differential/tranny. Amazing craftsmanship.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but thought I should add this to the thread-

Imho, Allen Millyard is kinda like the UK motorcycle equivalent to Pete Aardema. He's been building some very cool custom V engines from pairs of other engines for a long time. It might be of interest for another project like yours, just in case someone had to have a V12 or similar that was might fit within a smaller space.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/w...-12-motorcycle
Old 06-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Administrator

I'm a bit confused about the gears and chain? I'm involved in the GMC motorhome cult and they used the Olds Toronado (caddy Eldorodo) TH325 transmission which was basically a TH400 turned 180 degrees. They connected the engine and tranny via a chain. The chain itself is about 1 1/2 to 2" wide if I recall from having mine out. The pan in the photos doesn't look deep enough for two gears and the chain?

Of course, technology has progressed a bit since the early 70's. I was just thinking you'd need a pretty stout chain to handle that much power?

Can you elaborate on the differential? The napkin sketch just shows a chain. I'm assuming it somehow connects to a limited slip differential type of thinge that the half shaft axles bolt to?
Old 06-13-2018, 05:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
This is right up there with Dan Pate's friend up in Minneapolis that is making a rear engine Indy Roadster type thing and build a V12 out of two turbocharged inline six cylinder (Supra???} engines. Custom block and crank. Bolts to a new Corvette differential/tranny. Amazing craftsmanship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffrod View Post
I know this is a day late and a dollar short, but thought I should add this to the thread-

Imho, Allen Millyard is kinda like the UK motorcycle equivalent to Pete Aardema. He's been building some very cool custom V engines from pairs of other engines for a long time. It might be of interest for another project like yours, just in case someone had to have a V12 or similar that was might fit within a smaller space.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/w...-12-motorcycle
Here's a link to a Hot Rod article on Pete and Kevin's latest homebuilt V12, 1,200 cid worth. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-r...nder-behemoth/

This V12 was design for hydroplane boat racing. I guess it's obvious why this engine wasn't a good candidate to fit in the Miura
Old 06-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Both links come back "Page not found"

Darn!
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Bourget View Post
Both links come back "Page not found"

Darn!

Both links worked for me Marc.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:41 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinke View Post
Here's a link to a Hot Rod article on Pete and Kevin's latest homebuilt V12, 1,200 cid worth. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hot-r...nder-behemoth/

This V12 was design for hydroplane boat racing. I guess it's obvious why this engine wasn't a good candidate to fit in the Miura
Man, that's cool. I hadn't seen that article. Thanks for posting the link, Joel.

If you do happen to travel east and can get to Rick's shop (not Rich's, my typo) in Malvern, I highly recommend it. Seeing Miura specifics up close like that is one thing. seeing one from the inside out with Rick as your tour guide is much better....
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 AM

Kerry, Point of consideration (not criticism) The Olds has to move/react against a lot more weight than this car. That may reduce chain width.

Didn't go back to re-read, but wasn't a gear drive discussed?

FWIW