All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

Axel,
I had not realized you had already stretched the flange. Glad to hear you say take time to stop and think. Every move one makes in altering a panel may or can affect the panel at almost any location.

Good luck. Keep us posted on you progress or problems. We all learn from these discussions.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month June '15

I also have found out things go much faster and get much better if you do them a second time... ;-)
Old 03-14-2014, 06:58 PM

Default Jumping in the deep end

Quote:
Originally Posted by axelkloehn View Post
Good morning guys

I am new to this forum and new to metal shaping as well, means I am a beginner and just have a limited number of tools right now.
I am building a 105% scale Dino 206 over a hacksawed GT40 fiberglassbody, and will try to build it all in metal. I have a planishing hammer and an english wheel, no stretcher/shrinker and no bead roller at the moment.

Yesterday I was working at the bonnet, and would like have a nice metal transition around the raised part of the bonnet in the center (see marking).
I wheeled up a test part, but figured out that at the front and rear 180 degree curves the metal transition needs to be stretched, and than the stretching needs to fade out.

How can I fade out the stretching with the english wheel cause there is no shrinker/stretcher at my shop.
I saw something with a rubber band around the upper wheel, which will just bend the metal , no stretching.
Can I start with this idea, and than use the wheel without rubber band to stretch-bend it at the halfcircle curves at the ends?
Or do you have another advice for me?

The original car:

I like it! nothing like learning how to swim by just jumpin' in.Sink or swim. I think the learning is one of the best parts of builds like these and a 206 is a very cool way to learn.Best of luck and I wish I could help but I'm on the learning train too.
John.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks John
I saw your build too and must admit you are on an amazing learning train, best of luck to you too!
Old 03-15-2014, 06:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

Axle, I think you are asking the wrong question. Look at the problem in a differrent way. What is goint to happen to the panel once you have managed to form the radius? when you have formed it all and you weld all the way round the bulge?. I think it is reasonable to say that you are going to get a lot of distortion in the very flat boot (trunk) panel.

My advice to you is to make the panel in a completely different way.

Wheel the panel in two halves as you did before but don't cut the center out of it instead mark half your bulge in each half of the panel and using a stump or/and a sandbag (shotbag to our American friends) hollow out the half the shape of the bulge into each half of the panel. this way you will only have one weld to make which will also be in a high crown area and therefor will not distort.

You will have to make allowances for the extra metal needed for the bulge so leave a couple of inches extra on the each half panel until it is fully made and welded.

Its not as simple as I made it sound and you will have to stretch exactly the right amount of material as you form the bulge and also contain the deformation inside the perimeter of your bulge. You can use the wheel to smooth the bulge once you have each half formed. Some hand finishing will be needed.

Use your old panels to practice with perhaps.

David

All things are possible.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 PM
MetalShaper of the Month September 2013

Axel,
If you decide to continue with your first panels, you can shrink the flange by simply "tuck" shrinking it with a tucking fork. Search YouTube for "tuck shrinking". Try this before using a mechanical shrinker/stretcher.

Good luck. I'm really enjoying your build "bild"s. : )
Old 03-16-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longyard View Post
Axel,
If you decide to continue with your first panels, you can shrink the flange by simply "tuck" shrinking it with a tucking fork. Search YouTube for "tuck shrinking". Try this before using a mechanical shrinker/stretcher.

Good luck. I'm really enjoying your build "bild"s. : )
Thanks Bill
Yes, I did use a home-built tucking fork already, and it worked!
But the panel had so much distortion at the horizontal area already, that I decided to make a new one!
It just took me one hour and it really turned out!
Old 03-16-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post
Axle, I think you are asking the wrong question. Look at the problem in a differrent way. What is goint to happen to the panel once you have managed to form the radius? when you have formed it all and you weld all the way round the bulge?. I think it is reasonable to say that you are going to get a lot of distortion in the very flat boot (trunk) panel.

My advice to you is to make the panel in a completely different way.

Use your old panels to practice with perhaps.

David
Thanks David, you are absolutely right and this is exactly what I was thinking afterwards- I could have done it with two half panels!
The original idea was doing the bulge in metal and use a gfk stitchmatte to glue it on the fiberglass bonnet...but than I got into metalshaping and bought the english wheel, and suddenly decided to try everything in metal...
So the bulge already existed and the other panels I shaped around it!
Well, there is a lot to learn and I thank you guys for taking your time and helping me!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month
May 2009, Jan 2012, Dec 2014

No problem Axle. I have been making panels for around thirty five years and I still don't always come up with the best way to form a given panel on the first attempt.

The hoop part is double skinned, that's going to be fun!.

David

All things are possible.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Gardiner View Post

The hoop part is double skinned, that's going to be fun!.

David
I have heard about that reverse-curve-thing, and it scares me ;-)