All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-25-2014, 06:31 PM

Question Moly welding to rolled steel

Comments on how to weld dissimilar metals together please.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Welding 4130 CrMo to mild steel is not difficult. You may use either ER70S6, S2, or D2 and either gas or tig. You may also use 309 filler, and either gas or tig. Do not quench but allow to cool in still air.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 AM

Question

Can you translate for me??.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:36 AM

Gary,

How were you going to do the "Moly welding to rolled steel"? If with a "MIG" check your spool end for the wire type. If you are to use "TIG" or gas to weld a 309 rod will work for you.

The number letter combinations posted are filler material codes. "ER70S6, S2, or D" is "MIG" wire the -S6 is a suffix having to do with the wires ability to help clean the weld the -S2 won't clean the joint as much, I'm not familiar withs the D2 (I presume another suffix to "MIG" wire). The 309 is a welding rod designation.

(I don't know the numbers for my rods but I'm more of a grinder than a welder when it comes to gas welding. I need to refresh my rods since I found rust on some recently.)

The number "4130 CrMo" is the term for "Chrome Molybdenum" steel. I think the 4130 is enough to confuse all but 3-4 people in your favorite welding shop but the other people will know EXACTLY the material and its characteristics.

Last edited by Doug M; 07-26-2014 at 10:05 AM. Reason: compleation of explaination
Old 07-26-2014, 10:17 AM

Our small welding supplier out here in the boonies stocks 4130 filler rod, and you just ask for it by that designation.

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM

4130 is the numerical designation of Chrome Moly, and CrMo is the abbreviation of the same. These terms are used at the welding store when you buy your rod.

309 is the 3 digit designation of a stainless filler rod. You ask for this at your local welding store, by that designation.

Mild steel welding rods are sold by designation, and common ones are ER70D2, ER70S2, and etc. The same rod is used for either tig or torch.

tig is the abbreviation for tungsten inert gas, the same thing as GTAW, gas tungsten arc welding, and is understood at your local welding store. Torch is short for oxy-acetylene welding torch.

I would not use MIG to weld chrome moly, in any case.