All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-30-2016, 10:35 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Default Maserati 300 drawings

Hi,

I'm looking for drawings or blueprints for the 1956,57 Maserati 300. I have the basic three view drawing you find on a Google search. I'm looking for the chassis drawings and a 3d model drawing for the body so I can lay out a buck.

Thanks

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:05 AM

Hi Bill,
What you've found is all that's probably available to the average person.
With highly valuable classic cars like this, blue prints would be available to very few people and guarded as such.
One of the reasons is the owners of such valuable cars don't want lots of clones running around de-valuing the rarity of the originals.
Making a lookalike is easier, use your own chassis design, running gear and mechanicals, trying to make a toolroom copy would cost a fortune and a lifetime to achieve.
Just my opinion, good luck on this ambitious project

No matter how clever you think you are, stupidity is always one step ahead!!!!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec 2010, Sept 2015, Jan 2016

Try www.humster3d

Ben
Old 10-31-2016, 07:47 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I have ordered a coffee table book on the 300 and located an original car. I will keep you up to date on how I proceed.

Thanks, Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:41 AM

Default Maybe

I did a quick search and found this https://www.google.com/search?q=mase...9GfeqMwiNjM%3A

It does give a lot of pictures but also a chassis, add this to your collection?
Old 11-04-2016, 02:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Default Also thinking about 300S

Bill,
I have intentions of re-bodying my Cobra replica into a 300S/450S using aluminum. I must however finish my long running GTO project before embarking on this next journey. If I do the Maserati project, I guess I'll need to call it a 500S as it will have a 5.0L powerplant

If you do build a 300, please post progress pictures. If you do find good drawings or measurements that you can share, please keep me in mind. I have the 300S coffee table book and that's my main info source so far.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:03 PM

I have a hard time believing that replicas devalue the real thing. But I don't know the car business. Is that really true? There are tons of plastic cobras around but a real one still goes for big dollars. Also, building a replica is not a trivial exercise. I don't see a set of dwgs of a maserati resulting in hundreds of replicas springing up over night. Building a car, even out of fibreglass is a huge job. Or are high collectors a bunch of paranoid hoarders?
Old 11-05-2016, 05:29 PM

A friend of mine owns one of the 48 pre-production Land-Rovers made in 1948. When he went to licence it it appeared that it was already licenced and living in the UK! Fortunately he had the original bill-of-sale and the licence papers from Argentina and could therefore prove that the other car was a fake.

When I make re-production castings for old cars, I always make them slightly different to original, so that they can't be passed-off as original parts by unscrupulous people.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:36 PM

I'm reading this and similar threads on replicas and their merit and place in the world. I have come upon a question in which I am looking for your opinions. For my next build of a 50's sportscar replica I am debating whether to use a modern donor car chassis running gear and insure and title it as that modern car (think BMW Z3), although it will look vintage 50's. The other option is to purchase a 4 door year/make rusted car with papers that's in the era of my 50's sportscar. Problem is, as these old cars are so far rusted there wouldn't be much of the original car left when I'm finished. This brings up my dilemma: I ask myself at what point is the car no longer 'the car' on the paper title? Am I looking at this wrong? Because in the resto you've gone though and replaced so much of it (metal) to end up with a car titled as a 1958 Whatever. In my case I would eliminate the 2 rear doors to make it a coupe. My concerns come from growing up in the American Muscle Car era, in which to feed a growing market a lot of illegitimate cars were built. I've seen builders on this forum and others do amazing work cutting and converting 4 door sedans into roadsters. My intent is to drive this car for pleasure. Sorry if this is a bit of rambling on my part, I value the opinions here and look forward to hearing back from fellow members. -Vince

Last edited by CousinVinny; 11-12-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:21 PM

They have a vector drawing here, if thats any help.
https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...cars/maserati/

ærugo nunquam dormit