All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 04-13-2020, 12:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

I got these pictures from Bill today. I can't recall why that triangular patch was required, and can only guess that the previous owner had cut out those roll bars to be able to let some one sit beside him when driving on the street. Bill said that he is trying to get it ready to go out for sand/soda blasting.

That is not how I ran brake lines!
Name:  IMG_2424.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  45.5 KB

Bill did a nice job re-fitting these roll bars - previous owner cut them out with a torch.
Name:  IMG_2422.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  73.6 KB

The two rectangular openings and the two battery boxes are shown in this picture. This was done so that we could mount the battery and the rear end oil cooler fan assembly on either side of the car in the event that we ran it on a road course. The parts of the car that are red are required to be made of steel. The 'black' panels are aluminum 'crush' panels that are made to fit between the flat side of the steel interior panels and the steel body panels at the rear and between the steel firewall and the body at the front.
Name:  IMG_2423.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  65.3 KB

Looking at the floor pan, this might be one of the cars that I had enabled being able to 'store' almost 3 gallons of water in the roll bars. At that time, we were running an exhaust balance tube between the right and left side exhaust pipes, and it just so 'happened' to cross right under this location. Prior to going thru inspection, we would lightly tap a plastic plug in the drain opening, then fill it from a small hole at the top/rear of the main hoop bar. When the car was running the exhaust heat would melt that plastic plug and the water would drain into the balance tube, turn to steam and exit out both headers. It would take about 4 miles of running before it drained out and the car would go back to handling like we qualified it. This 'idea' had to be known when building the roll cage to facilitate certain blocked-off and 'opened' areas.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-13-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Hi,

With draining the water, the car would handle like when you qualified. Is it because it got lighter?

Great story's Will.

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:20 PM

Both lighter and maybe a little better balance
Old 04-14-2020, 08:07 AM

It would handle better because all of the water that drained was quite a bit above the roll axis centerline. The roll bars that held the water were pretty close to the horizontal center of gravity (front to rear and left to right), but when the water is drained the CG height is significantly lowered.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Interesting stuff. Sounds like you had a fun job back then.

I'll have to get you to look at my roll center calculations before I begin my new chassis.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 04-14-2020, 12:49 PM

Will: I am a bit confused about how you made weight if you placed. When I was road racing, our cars were impounded right off the track and run across the scales and inspected.

TuckPuck® Metal Shaping Tools
www.tuckpuck.com
Old 04-14-2020, 06:53 PM

Mr.C: If we were running good enough to be weighed at the end of a race we would not have tried to use so many 'tricks'. We were doing it in an attempt to increase our purse money to make payroll and keep the lights on, but this only got used for 3-4 races, and on the shorter tracks, early in my career. During most of my tenure they only weighed the winning car. As I got a little more experienced, my superspeedway 'shit' was up to snuff, especially my narrow 'stuff'.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-14-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2020, 08:09 AM

Things still slow around here. Can't get out. Looking for things to do. I came across this old NASCAR seat at a racing friends shop and bought it to give Bill another option in selecting a seat. he said that he had one, but this might be an option. I have seen my friend use this at one of the World 600 race in Charlotte. It is a long race - back in the time when there were no 'cool suits', no 'cool vests' and not very good interior ventilation. The vent in the back of the seat would be connected to a naca duct in the rear window. The multiple holes below the shoulder harness slots are for mounting shoulder restraints that I have not cleaned up yet.

If used in the mountain car, it would have to have the integral head rest cut away below the oval openings because this car has a headrest built into the rear roll bars.

This seat was covered with left over foam insulation and grey tape residue when I found it. Jim was very helpful in using aircraft paint remover to get it cleaned up to look like this.

Name:  flower 003.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  57.9 KB

Name:  Seat 003.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  Seat 005.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  65.4 KB

Name:  Seat 006.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-21-2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Cool seat Will.

Interesting about the "cooling vests" and air blowing. I always wondered about the extreme heat.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 04-22-2020, 02:52 PM

Some one sent me this YouTube clip yesterday. It is NOT this car that is being restored, but a 'sister' car that I built especially for Talladega. It was a 'narrow' car with a Junior Johnson motor and the Jolly Rancher sponsor. Both Elliott and the Allison Gatorade car had pit road 'issues' that put us in this position. Both this car and the 'mountain' car ran the Jolly Rancher sponsorship in 1982.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ohOrEF_nU from 37.10 to 39.17

Last edited by RockHillWill; 04-23-2020 at 08:31 AM.