All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 12-04-2021, 07:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2023

So getting back on track, I’ve got several tools finally in the shop and today I am thinking of starting on trying to form some metal. Obviously being a greenhorn at this, I was thinking of starting with the easy parts first. Problem is, I’m not sure what the easy parts are!

I’ll going to use Jack’s technique of using the welding paper as a template for some of the areas like the front end headlight area. I’ll post up later today!

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-04-2021, 02:16 PM

Hi Dave,

Being a beginner I've self taught by using YouTube and reading a few books. I started with making a bowl, I started with a 12" disc and it ended up being about a 8"er. Especially since I too started with steel and have not moved onto Aluminum yet a test piece was a good start.

It let me figure out stretch and shrink with hand tools and the finer art of plannishing which still needs some work.

This may be below your "Greenhorn " skills already but I thought it might be a starting point.

Just one suggestion.. Best of luck on the adventure...! I'll be watching for sure.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Old 12-04-2021, 03:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

My first metal shaping was the quarter panel of the 1/4 scale Willys. I was still learning how to run the sheet through the wheel and not go the wrong way when I got to the end of the pass, but for me that sort of steep curve works. I had lots of flat sheet to make another panel if I couldn't get it to match my buck.

Neat project, I'll be watching.
Old 12-04-2021, 04:24 PM

Hi Dave,
Neat project...

If this is your first go at shaping panels and using the English Wheel then I would suggest you start out on the wheel with an exercise known as "Shape Shape out". It teaches you many many things about how to use the E-wheel and the basic principles of metal shaping. If your not familiar with the exercise. Let me know I will describe it for you.

Also what E-Wheel do you have???
Flat anvils or full radius???
Old 12-04-2021, 08:34 PM

Thanks guys! I quickly figured out I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but oh man, it's sooooo much fun!!!

But seriously, I figured I'd start with the front end and am sort of happy with it, but mainly, excited to actually see metal being formed finally. I think as described somewhere on here, most of what I did today was fabrication instead of forming so I need to hone my skills.

My planishing hammer showed to today too so I was able to mess around with that. Most of the told I have purchased are from Eastwood or Northern Tool, and yes, I know they're not the best but being an amateur on this, I wanted to see how I like this and when I get competent in forming, I'll sell the cutest stuff and get better. But for now, I'm pretty happy with what I have although not happy with my work.

Yes, describe that exercise for me! I need it!! I definitely will be taking a class/training in January. December will be a practice month so I'll have plenty of questions for the teacher for sure.

Pics tomorrow with more progress.
Old 12-04-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Thanks guys! I quickly figured out I don't have a clue what I'm doing, but oh man, it's sooooo much fun!!!

But seriously, I figured I'd start with the front end and am sort of happy with it, but mainly, excited to actually see metal being formed finally. I think as described somewhere on here, most of what I did today was fabrication instead of forming so I need to hone my skills.

My planishing hammer showed to today too so I was able to mess around with that. Most of the told I have purchased are from Eastwood or Northern Tool, and yes, I know they're not the best but being an amateur on this, I wanted to see how I like this and when I get competent in forming, I'll sell the cutest stuff and get better. But for now, I'm pretty happy with what I have although not happy with my work.

Yes, describe that exercise for me! I need it!! I definitely will be taking a class/training in January. December will be a practice month so I'll have plenty of questions for the teacher for sure.

Pics tomorrow with more progress.

Shape in Shape out=

Shape In....

Cut a piece of material 12 to 14 inches square.
When I do it I use a 14 square piece it is a little easier to work with.
Once you have your square material mark a 1 inch border on all four sides with a felt tip pen.
Now on the E-wheel start on one side staying inside your boarder make your passes close together from one side to the other.
Now turn the panel 90 degrees and do the same thing. make sure you stay inside the boarder.
Keep doing this until your panel begins to raise.
You have to hold the panel level and make very even close passes.
Check it often by setting it on a flat surface it will get to a point that just the four corner touch as it raises up.

Your goal is to raise an equal crown in both directions no twist no lines very smooth and a nice finish when held up to the light.

Shape out....
By having that 1 inch boarder that you did not wheel that boarder acts as a frame. By wheeling inside the boarder you created more surface area inside that boarder so the panel crowns up.
To let the shape out wheel the edges all around until they are wavy.
Then start at the middle and pull up lightly on the panel and pull the panel out toward you at the same time. this will drag shape out to the edge. Turn the panel 90 degrees and do it again. keep doing that.

When the edges get tight. wheel them again until they are wavy. Then drag more shape out.
The goal of shape out is to make the panel perfectly flat again.

Putting shape into a panel "correctly" and being able to let shape out when you over develop a panel are very very important principles.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:31 PM

Good exercise Dave. So, here's my first go at metal shaping and forming. Don't laugh, I'm very fragile! Just kidding. No, not gonna win any awards, but I'm very pleased with the look so far. I need my shrinker to show up since I'm now figuring out why I need it!

Now.... Hopefully I can get the other side symmetrical! The other panels will require more wheeling I'm sure. Figuring out how to do a curve one way then get the other section to curve the other way (like the part below the headlight bucket) beat me up, and so I had no choice but to cut and splice.

Unfortunately, well, maybe fortunately, the buck is getting destroyed as I form on it so I'm thinking this is going to be the only replica I make which is fine by me. Even something more to be proud of!

Name:  IMG_20211204_081418928.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20211204_082826594.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20211204_100556867.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20211204_125508731.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20211205_144419299.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20211205_145545897.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  IMG_20211205_153422223.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  73.9 KB
Cheers
Dave

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 12-05-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 05:30 PM

Good start Dave.

To save you making all of those welds it is not too difficult to make larger panels. Have a look at Peter's movies here https://www.youtube.com/user/Handbuilt1/videos

Peter is a master craftsman; there may be others in the world who are as good as him, but I doubt that there are any who are better,

Cheers Charlie
Old 12-07-2021, 06:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by A12pilot View Post
Good exercise Dave.

Now.... Hopefully I can get the other side symmetrical! The other panels will require more wheeling I'm sure. Figuring out how to do a curve one way then get the other section to curve the other way (like the part below the headlight bucket) beat me up, and so I had no choice but to cut and splice.

Unfortunately, well, maybe fortunately, the buck is getting destroyed as I form on it so I'm thinking this is going to be the only replica I make which is fine by me. Even something more to be proud of!

Dave

First thing, don't do any forming on your buck, that's not what it's for. Bang on you sand bag or over a hollow in your stump.
Use the buck to make paper patterns and profile gauges from. And test fit of course.

To get a panel to curve in opposite directions, only stretch the edges. Do NOT hit the center. This is called a reverse curve.

Do you have a stump, shot bag, mallets?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 12-07-2021, 07:17 AM

Yes, this first try was a exercise in seeing what I don’t know and I was successful at it!

My shrinker/stretcher showed up yesterday, and playing around with that opened my eyes to much more refined curves. Man this stuff is so much fun! It’s amazing to the see the metal bend compound curves. And I learned what you said real quick, Pugsy!

Been watching those videos on the panel forming and I’m going with trying to make bigger panels on the right side.

Thanks guys! More pics soon.

Cheers,

Dave