All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-19-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Paul, have you thought about just making a new skin from scratch? Clean up the inner panel, paint with POR15, install new skin....
I like that challenge! I just think that doing all that work to something that is available is kinda a waste. If one was to do that, I would find a rusty trunk that no one re-pops or even has in the salvage yards for that challenge. hmmm, a busness oppertunity for metalshapers. Buy up completely shot parts, rebuild them and sell on the net! Probably no money in it or it would be done already

(the old coach builders, alive or looking down from above are calling me a wimp aren't they)

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Paul, have you thought about just making a new skin from scratch? Clean up the inner panel, paint with POR15, install new skin....
I thought about it when I got the skin separated from the inner structure. I thought to myself, "I'll bet my friends on AMS and MM could make a new skin for this lid". I don't think I could though. Anyway this lid was junk. The one in my first post came from Texas and is much nicer. I might bring it with me to Oblong so I can get some help wheeling a new patch for the rear edge. I just wish the inside was clean and coated with some epoxy.
On the lid I cut open, I had to remove all the seam sealer from the edge first. When I unfolded the lip there was the rust between the panels It was all sealed up but there was rust none the less.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:28 AM

Why don't you take both to Oblong and at least attempt making a new skin. Plenty of folks there who have done it. Perfect time to give it a go. Use one for a pattern and put the skin on the frame that you have.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Why don't you take both to Oblong and at least attempt making a new skin. Plenty of folks there who have done it. Perfect time to give it a go. Use one for a pattern and put the skin on the frame that you have.

What do I do with the keyhole area? Would I cut the old area out and weld it to the new skin? Its recessed and has a strange cut to it.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:59 PM

Do that too. All part of the learning process. You will have access to people that can walk you through it.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Chiefs View Post
What do I do with the keyhole area? Would I cut the old area out and weld it to the new skin?
That is what I have done in the past. I thought about building a form and press it out but every make and or model and or year is different.

Someone does make a repair tool for damaged cylinder areas but I haven't seen on for a while. I don't think it is designed to form the area, just straighten a damage one out.

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I have actually drilled holes in the shell and filled with panel foam to stiffen it up. Not the spray foam insulation you get from the hardware store. That stuff eats steel.

Chris, what brand foam do you recommend and who sells it ? Thanks ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM

John,

I use 3M's Automix Pillar Foam #08458

(this tube is a little old, I am sure 3M has "improved" the formula and changed the part number 3 times by now ) Of course it also requires a special application gun

I think Norton, SEM, Kent, etc all make a autobody pillar foam. If I remember correctly alot of the SUV's used it in the rockers and pillars to cut down on noise and vibration. Which I am sure after 10-15 years, has accumulated alot of dirt and moisture, assuring that the next generation of restorers have plenty of rust to repair

C
hris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

Old 09-22-2009, 05:51 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post

I'd like to see that done as the edges of my trunk lid are rusty and getting thin.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 09-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default trunk lock die

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARS View Post
That is what I have done in the past. I thought about building a form and press it out but every make and or model and or year is different.

Someone does make a repair tool for damaged cylinder areas but I haven't seen on for a while. I don't think it is designed to form the area, just straighten a damage one out.
Chris I have a die for that and you can see it at the Oct Metalmeet at my place.Plenty of room for the Mobile Marriot,hope to see you.