MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

What other questions?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 01-12-2012, 05:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gary View Post
I have enough work that I should own a bead roller and E-wheel.Thing is I am in the price range of a HF level.I found out how to reinforce the bead rollers for HP to make them work.The E-wheels from them when I looked at them seem to have alot of slop back and forth,I was told their main down fall was they twist,and I don't know how either effects the pc you are working on.I do think I have a eye to pound a curve,but in the same hand I also think it is hard to get the same smooth curve that you get with w E-Wheel.
These questions
Old 01-12-2012, 07:57 PM

As David Gardiner and others on this site prove, English wheels and other large tools are not absolutely needed. Don't get me wrong I would love to have all the fancy tools some day but you can get just about any results you need with hand tools.

Not only as Pugsy described, but as he shows in his build thread. There are a lot of compound shapes there and he's doin it all with hand tools.

Finishing off panels that you beat out by hand are a matter of takin the time to planish them out with stake dollies, hammer and dolly, dolly and slapper, or file slapper.

Obviously with larger panels then you should really have some better equipment depending on how complicated the pieces are. But still a lot is achievable by hand still.

I feel learning the hard way by hand gives you a greater appreciation for the tools you will then acquire later in time. Also gives you a lot of pride in what you do.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:51 PM

No ewheel:

my project:
Old 01-12-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed 58 chevy View Post
As David Gardiner and others on this site prove, English wheels and other large tools are not absolutely needed. Don't get me wrong I would love to have all the fancy tools some day but you can get just about any results you need with hand tools.

Not only as Pugsy described, but as he shows in his build thread. There are a lot of compound shapes there and he's doin it all with hand tools.

Finishing off panels that you beat out by hand are a matter of takin the time to planish them out with stake dollies, hammer and dolly, dolly and slapper, or file slapper.

Obviously with larger panels then you should really have some better equipment depending on how complicated the pieces are. But still a lot is achievable by hand still.

I feel learning the hard way by hand gives you a greater appreciation for the tools you will then acquire later in time. Also gives you a lot of pride in what you do.

Just to clarify: I used an ewheel on my build but alot of screw ups caused some major banging and stuff that required a ton of hand planishing.

I believe this is what slammed is referring to.

my project:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Gary: Three words. Low Crown TuckPuck. Shape and planish in just a few minutes. Search "tuckpuck" on YouTube for instructional videos(there are 4). You could shape and planish this panel in minutes.
I don't normally "push" my products here but since you have limited tooling resources,this would be an easy solution.
My website is in my signature. I am working on a new video series. For now I am finally painting and powder coating my english wheel to be a bit more professional looking in the new videos. Videos will be shot probably next week. It will correct some mistakes in the first series and go into more depth on a lot of other processes. In High Defintion this time around.
I'll second that.

I took delivery of a HC and LC TuckPuck just before Christmas (Thanks Mr C) and have been very impressed with the way they work.
I roughed out a stump when I first got interested in metalshaping but never really got to grips with the techniques needed to use it. (It's also bulky and always in the way)
I'm not proficient with the TuckPuck yet by any means but boy can you develop some usable shape quickly. It just works. I suspect the trick is in the angle and depth of the cone, I watched Carey's YouTube vid, bashed a single piece of scrap and then made useable repair panels.

They're as cheap as chips too, even with shipping to the UK I probably couldn't have made them for what they cost, even if I had been prepared to rip off someone else's idea.

The Scuderia Obsoleto Blog
www.spannerdude.wordpress.com
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2013, Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed 58 chevy View Post

I couldnt agree with you more, well said.
Peter

Metalshaping tools and dvds
www.handbuilt.net.au

Metalshaping clip on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEAh91hodPg

Making Monaro Quarter panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpOhz0uGRM
Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1gary View Post
Carey-still downloading the link,ya dial up.So far I didn't see the E-wheel.

Guys-beyond this one project,as I said I have many more to do.So please address the other questions I posed.
I made a planishing hammer for $60 and I like it a lot more than my $500 Metal Ace e-wheel.