All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
Register All Albums Event Calendar Today's Posts Search
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-02-2022, 03:50 PM

Default Kelly’s introduced

Hi group. I’m Kelly I’m 67 and started learning skills in high school shop class. I spent 47 years repairing elevators. Started with Babit bearings and carbon contacts. TTL ( transistor transistor logic with real transistors). Ended with microprocessor controls. I’ve had the pleasure of experiencing most every bad idea an engineer could think of.

Current projects in the shop are a 1928 willys whippet, a 1951 mgtd, a 1980 Mercedes’ 450 sl, a 1971 military deuce, and a 2001 corvette.

If it’s old rusty and broken it usually follows me home.

Shop tools include a 1900 Hamilton lathe ( serial number 51) from the battle ship Oregon, a 1920s shaper, a 1910 bandsaw from the boing airplane factory, and a few modern tools.

Currently I need to make a sheet metal roller for model t speedster bucket seats and an English wheel.

Kelly
Old 08-03-2022, 11:03 AM

Default Welcome!

Welcome, Kelly.

For building your own wheel, loads to read here, you've come to the right place.

As far as building a roller, I was recently looking at my pile of scraps to see about building a pipe anvil, like the one I saw at one of Gene Winfield's workshops. Don't want to stop you from building a roller, but for seats I think a pipe anvil would work just fine. If you are interested, Google Gene Winfield pipe anvil and there are plenty of variants out there.

The appeal to me is that I figure I can make one in an easy morning from what's lying around.