All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 01-07-2023, 06:52 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Yes, that is a worthy thought. Buy it for others.
Unfortunately, the internet is something like a big toilet... you flush and everything that was there is gone.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:00 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month August 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisrain View Post
There was a post on their FB group that the owner is ill and is not covering the hosting costs any longer. Folks are discussing ways to raise the $500 hosting fee for the site, including a gofundme.

I have inquired about purchasing the site outright, if for no other reason than to keep its repository of information available for folks to reference. So far, no response.
Hi,
If it becomes available, let us know, we might be able to find enough guys to keep from loosing the data.

I wonder if it would be possible, to copy and paste the metal meet archives to All metal shaping for the preservation of data?

Bill

"A sign of a good machinist, is one who can fix his F$@& Ups" My mentor and friend, Gil Zietz Micro Metric Machine.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:16 PM

The MetalMeet site is back up and running.
Old 05-12-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRussell View Post
The MetalMeet site is back up and running.
Curious if anyone has access? I can only open the main page for about a month.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 05-15-2023, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.murphy View Post
Curious if anyone has access? I can only open the main page for about a month.
Seems to have gone down again. I posted on the Oblong FB group, but no response.

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind
Old 05-15-2023, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

One of the many reasons AllMetalShaping was created was due to MetalMeet.com being hijacked from the MetalMeet Board of Directors.

We chose a different route. There are four admins, myself, Steve Hamilton, Dan Pate, and Dan Smith (Galooph). The four of us pay all expenses and do all the work of approving new members, keeping out spammers, etc. The advantage is that the 4 of us get to decide how AllMetalShaping runs.

One of the things that killed the MetalMeet forum was the lack of structure and control. A few vocal malcontents basically ran off most the content creators who came up with Allmetalshaping as a name for a new forum where we could discuss Metal Shaping. OnlyMetalShaping would have been a good name too. Because we don't allow all the off topic bullshit that MetalMeet did.

As our admins 'retire', we will look for a replacement. Dan Smith is our newest Admin. If anyone is interested in learning more, send me a message.

The MM Board kept control of the Oblong event after a couple people changed ownership to themselves and bypassed the Board. Add in that the new owners screwed up the move of the forum to their new server and managed to lose a year and a half of content!

It was a sad day. The forum never recovered from the loss of so many key content creators.

If someone is really interested in taking the site, it's probably going to cost you around 500 bucks...at least that is what we pay for hosting AllMetalShaping. I'd start by contacting Larry Robinson. He's not the main admin but probably knows what's what. I don't have contact info for him but could put you in touch with someone who does.

Hopefully someone learned how to do a backup.
Old 05-16-2023, 01:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Kerry, you have to hold it. I learned a lot of good information here that moved me towards the result. There is a really positive atmosphere here and you can feel the desire of the members to help each other. A rare place indeed.
We all have some EGO, to be better than others, but I think that most of the members have understood this and are willing to help and guide their thoughts. I appreciate it very much.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Kerry, you have to hold it. I learned a lot of good information here that moved me towards the result. There is a really positive atmosphere here and you can feel the desire of the members to help each other. A rare place indeed.
We all have some EGO, to be better than others, but I think that most of the members have understood this and are willing tohelp and guide their thoughts. I appreciate it very much.
Jaroslav summed it up nicely.
Thank you for keeping this site running. It’s a treasure of knowledge.

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 05-16-2023, 09:56 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

You're welcome guys. None of us are in this for money, we just want to have a place to talk metalshaping free from spam and bullshit. I can't speak for the other admins but everything I know was freely given to me from this community. Thats why we've never asked for money or had ads. What we do is just trying to pay it back and forward.

At some point, it will be time for someone else to step up. Not yet but have several people who have the information to keep the site going if one of us moves on.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:21 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
At some point, it will be time for someone else to step up. Not yet but have several people who have the information to keep the site going if one of us moves on.

Thanks Kerry.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154