All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-02-2022, 05:33 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Glad you been able to find something to go on with. There is always some tasks to do that has to be done along the way.
Too many people stop altogether while waiting for parts etc, but then nothing at all is progressing in the mean time. Often you get out of the routine of setting time aside as well, so takes even longer to get back to the build.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Brake Lines Completed

Progressing on with the brake system, the brake hard lines and hoses are now in place. It took a bit of head scratching to figure out chassis mounts for the front brake hoses. I ended up using billet hose/tube separators along with -3AN bulkhead fittings for the mounts.

The chassis mounts for the rear brake hoses were much easier; short pieces of aluminum angle did the trick. It’s much easier to figure out the hose mount locations for the rear where you only need to account for vertical motion. For the front, you need to account for the combination of vertical motion and the caliper pivot as the wheels change angle.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:29 PM

Post Coolant Lines Completed

The coolant lines on this Miura chassis run up the center of the chassis under the gas tank. While this routing is probably ideal for a longitudinal mounted engine, with a transverse engine it makes for some challenging coolant line routing right by the engine front side exhaust header. A key consideration for the coolant system was to make sure the coolant fill port is the highest point in the system. In addition, the Coyote engine has new style coolant hose fittings which needed to be converted to good old hose and clamp style fittings.

Starting at the engine coolant outflow point, I fabricated a coolant fill tank that hopefully will also help degas the coolant. This tank was welded onto the coolant neck on the top of the engine along with a bung for mounting the coolant temperature sensor. This way the electric water pump controller will get a reading at a point where the coolant will be its hottest. A 1 ½ ” tube exits the bottom of the fill tank, runs down in front of the cylinder head to the front side of the engine. The thermostat housing was eliminated with this coolant fill tank as it was no longer needed.

This is looking upward by the engine front side header from below. I welded up some aluminum mandrel bends to snake around the oil filter, maximize spacing away from the header and connect up with the tubes going to/from the radiator. Hidden behind one of the A/C hoses is the heater hose that also goes up the chassis center. The next time I have the engine out, I’ll fabricate some heat shielding to help protect the silicone and rubber hoses.

The coolant return line from the radiator connects up to a fitting that replaces the mechanical water pump.

An electric water pump is located at the radiator outflow port.

A small auxiliary pump is used to push hot coolant up to the heater core in the passenger side footbox. It was a challenge but the hose feeding this pump is just below the level of the coolant fill cap. I’m guessing it will likely take some trial and error to figure out how to get all the air purged out of the coolant system. I might need to add a bleeder value in that hose but I won’t go there until I get some evidence that it’s needed.

Oh well, I’m hoping for the best that this coolant system will keep the engine temperatures where they should be and the cockpit warm and toasty when it’s cold outside. Only time will tell…
Old 09-04-2022, 07:49 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

It’s nice to watch the details being sorted. Thanks for the update, Joel.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:16 PM

Post It’s a Roller!!

It’s been quite a while since the Miura project has had progress worth an update. A few months ago, I commissioned the making of some custom rims to mimic the look of the original Miura Campagnolo rims. Over the last few years, I had searched extensively for aftermarket 17” rims that had the “Miura look” and came up empty. I thought about using pin drive wheels commonly used on Cobras and GT40s just couldn’t warm up to that choice.

Then someone told me about Augment Wheel that custom makes rims at a reasonable cost (for custom rims that is ). Dan at Augment was able to capture the Miura rim look in a CAD design including some faux knock-offs with lug nut covers. Here are the rims that resulted.

As compared to an original rim. The main difference in look is the proportion of rim to tire sidewall height. I want to use modern performance tires so short sidewalls it is.

With the new rims and tires, the Miura chassis now can be rolled out of the garage to get a view from more than a few feet back.

Hopefully I’ll have the car moved to the new workshop soon and start making regular progress on it again.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Very, very cool. One of the things that bums me out about so many builds are wheels that just don’t fit the theme. Those look great.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:04 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel
The wheels look fantastic!
Good to see some progress, thanks for sharing with us.
Keep up the great work.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Wow, they turned out really well!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Looking good. The wheels are a great match. At least your car won't rust like the factory ones.
Old 05-24-2023, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

I was wondering what was going on with this just last week. Love the wheels.