All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-09-2022, 02:09 PM

Default Removing dents from fender

I have the bumper off for other reasons. I am considering whether to try to fix this damaged metal while it is off. I wouldn't consider it all except it is affecting the mounting point of one of the bumper brackets I am replacing, as you can see in the pics. This car is new to me so I don't know how the damage occurred. There are some downward scratches in the larger depression suggesting impact from above, but the bumper is off to replace the left bumper shock absorber so there may have been impact from the rear. There are two minor depressions, the forward one is the largest. There is a slight dip in the fender line right below the larger depression and near the mounting bolts that should point straight down. The last thing I want to do is cause more damage by trying to fix this the wrong way. What I was thinking of trying was to have someone apply pressure to the back of the larger depression from inside the trunk while I pound upward near the low spot/mounting bolts. It seems like I could try that without too much risk of causing more damage if we don't apply too much force. What do you think?

2022-10-08 14.44.18.jpg

2022-10-08 14.44.49.jpg

2022-10-08 14.45.41.jpg

2022-10-08 14.46.26.jpg

2022-10-08 14.46.44.jpg

2022-10-08 14.47.56.jpg

Last edited by galooph; 10-10-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:54 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

What about this or a similar method. Look on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAkPi9IolQ
Old 10-09-2022, 11:36 PM

I don't know if you are joking or not, but it seems simply pounding the dents out from the back would be better, but it doesn't seem like either would address the deformed bumper bracket area.
Old 10-10-2022, 12:41 AM

You can't see it well from the photos. If it is after the impact? You can pull it back with a rope or chain tensioner - pull the lever. Carefully stretch back to original position. If it'll be possible.

https://www.tedox.cz/brano-rzv
Old 10-10-2022, 06:30 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller View Post
I don't know if you are joking or not, but it seems simply pounding the dents out from the back would be better, but it doesn't seem like either would address the deformed bumper bracket area.
Hi Jeff,
I've unmangled a fair amount of auto metal.... and taught the stuff a bit.
For me, conveying a clear view of a 3D curvature problem is at the pinnacle of a 2D camera ability.
Hence, I use straight-edges and contour tools and measuring stix held to indicate where the valley contours extend.

P1040414 copy.jpg

289_wh_arch_rep_4.jpg

IMG_1461 (002).jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1470 (002).jpg

Pulling dents with adhesive tape or bonding can be done where the dents are "soft" and you can pull on the adhesive while pushing down on the high areas around the depression...."pull/push" sorta thang.

Highlighting mangles with bright and shadow is helpful.... from different angles to illustrate the 3D nature ....
... and so on ....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:47 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Suc.../dp/B00U56NU0Q

Maybe something like this would work?

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 10-10-2022, 11:29 PM

Yes, you need to think about why it is bent and where the force went. Think about the direction in which you will remove the tension.
If you don't want to sand and paint.
Old 10-11-2022, 08:49 AM

I think you have the right idea, Jeff. If you wish to mainly just restore the bumper fit, some hand pressure from behind while tapping on the bend upward at a 45° angle or so should be a start. You won't get all of everything out that way but you might achieve satisfaction if as you say, you keep it gentle. However if much sealant is present up near the wheel opening, that might work against you. The main thing is that now the bend is too bent at the dent. Striking just on the edge while holding pressure on the inside close to top of dent is my theory.based on what I can see.
Old 10-16-2022, 09:35 PM

I am betting this is a bmw 3 series .i would double check inside the the rear trunk floor area .if the bumper shock has been impacted where the rear frame rail mounts to the inside of the rear body panel if it has been impacted you will get damage to the outer quarter panel that will appear like some of what i am seeing in your picture.it could also have some other damage from another impact as well.the damage will show at the top of the rear uni rail under the plastic rear body interior trim panel .it may need a uni body pull to get everything to fit correct again.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:09 PM

Thank you you all for your suggestions and ideas about this. It's very helpful.I'm sorry I did not reply sooner.

Yes, it is a BMW 330. The reason I have the bumper off is because I knew the bumper shock absorber was bad and I am replacing it. I knew it was bad because I backed slowly into the back of my garage (accidentally) and compressed the bumper a bit and that side stayed compressed.

I do not see any damage inside the trunk or anywhere near the shock mounting point (see pic). The car tracks fine and the panels align well.

There is another small dent in the rear quarter closer to the door that also has the vertical scratches (picture attached, you have to zoom to see scratches). I think the car has experienced at least two incidents, one leaving the dents with vertical scratches and another rear impact that damaged the shock absorber, broke the left plastic bumper mount, and possibly caused or exacerbated the dents. I'm having a hard time thinking of what would cause three small dents in those locations and leave vertical scratches though.

[Edited to attach correct picture]

Attachment 64678

2022-10-17 12.05.01.jpg

2022-10-17 12.05.32.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-10-17 11.07.16.jpg (103.0 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by jmiller; 10-18-2022 at 07:18 PM.