All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2018, August 2021,November 2023

Default 1949 Mercury 4 door to 2 door....and more

I've got another project that I'm currently working on that I'd like to share as I do feel it's rather interesting.

The only hesitation is that this project was always planned as a longer term build with the owner, to help spread the cost out. (Which I can’t fault him for that....and also the reason I don’t build cars for myself!ha) I've performed an extensive amount of work already on the vehicle (I explain much of the work performed as "roughing it in" in order to obtain the correct proportions of the vehicle because we are kind of going out of the "norm" from a typical custom Mercury build.

With that said, I have another full custom build scheduled to arrive in early April (and I'll certainly be sharing that build "live" here as I progress, as long as the customer is okay with it being shared)

So that brings me to the slight dilemma: I want to be upfront that I can share a lot of the progress to date on this '49 Mercury, but once I catch the posts up to where the vehicle is in present day, this thread would lay dormant until I finish the build that is arriving in April.

If members are okay with knowing that progress & updates for this Merc will go on the backburner while I finish another project I'll start sharing and explaining what I've all done to this Merc so far.

Attached are pictures of the car as it arrived

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2002
Size:  82.8 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2041
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  80.4 KB

Dane

Last edited by pplace; 03-08-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:10 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

We are always ready for a build project!!

Start cutting er up!

Steve
Old 03-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
We are always ready for a build project!!

Start cutting er up!

Steve
Oh trust me, I’ve certainly cut ‘er up already!

I’ve had this project for a while and have bounced back and forth on it between other projects. The customer is okay and prefers a slower build as it helps him spread out the costs over time easier!

Dane
Old 03-08-2018, 01:18 PM

interested
I have a a merc I plan to build
its a 4door as well and I have been thinking about changing it into a 4 door
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 PM

The first task was to "gut" the vehicle of all the upholstery (was trashed from sitting out in the farm grove for many many years) glass, trim, etc.

So the thing that will make this custom Mercury different than most....or all of the others?!? We tossed around the idea that since we are taking a 4 door and turning it into a 2 door, lets make it different and not turn it directly into what we'd end up with if we had started with a 2 door.

The difference......we are doing a 3 window Merc! After the idea, I started doing some rough photoshop work as well as googling custom Mercurys online. I did stumble across a few other 3 window Mercs.....as far as I could tell all of them except one ended at the photoshop stage. The one that appeared to have been finished was a fairly nice looking car, but I felt I could certainly improve the roofline, and overall look of the car.

As I mentioned, initially I had done some photoshop work in order to get an idea of the general proportions and modifications necessary to achieve the look we (the customer and I) were after. In all honesty, this first stage of cutting and moving metal around was all very ROUGH and quick. All we were after was to see if the changes would look good in person as sometimes a photoshop or idea in your head doesn't exactly work in "the real world"

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  72.3 KB

After gutting all the interior, glass, trim, etc. I was left with a shell of the car to start rough cutting on. Normally at the start of a project I would strip or blast everything to clean bare metal.

However, in all honestly, we weren't even sure this drastic modification from a 4 door to a 2 door "3 window" would even look good in person, so we didn't want to put forth a bunch of extra labor in this early stage.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  74.3 KB

Surprisingly the interior floors seemed to be in very good condition once the interior was removed (there was some rust in the floor boards under the driver's feet)

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1877
Size:  73.1 KB

The trunk......well that was completely shot!! No worries, this would have to be completely removed and rebuilt later with the modifications we had ahead.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1882
Size:  73.8 KB

As you can see here, both rockers were completely rusted away also. You could see right through them in most areas. Again this is totally fine as I knew I'd have to rebuild and modify them in the 2 door conversion process.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1800
Size:  75.5 KB

I told you this was a "quick and dirty" mockup. In order to get it to sit low to get a feel for the proportions eventually I just took the wheels off, cut out some suspension parts and set it on the shop floor!

Here the common.....cut a door top off and see how it's going to look chopped part has started as well!ha

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  74.5 KB

After that it was finally time to take the big leap and cut the entire roof off.

I had braced the rear window opening so it would retain it's original shape. Using the photoshop proportions I came up with that that customer and I both liked best, I started moving the rear window into it's correct position. As you can see I moved it forward a lot! The problem with a "3 window" was finding a nice roofline without having a very large flat sail panel behind the side door glass. To minimize the "flatness" of large sail panel, the rear window is further ahead than a regular 2 door.

While I'll share the work I've done. I'd prefer not to share actual dimensions of modifications like chop height, how far the rear window was moved forward, and other modifications I'll get to later....hopefully you can understand my reasons for that decision.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  73.5 KB

Here I set the roof back on in it's very rough location. I've cut and moved the rear door roof jamb away from the roof and slid it forward to see what proportions looked good for the conversion to a 2 door.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  75.0 KB

Once I had an upper door opening that possibly would look alright I trimmed the back off the roof off and set the rear window back into position.

To help visualize everything a bit better, I covered all the large missing areas with masking paper. (realize here the rear half of the door top is missing from the opening as well, so It'll close up a bit more eventually.)

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  73.4 KB

A view from the rear.

I knew I'd have to change proportions of the front edge of the trunk and the tulip panel behind the rear window in order to make things visually better.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  63.1 KB

Straight from the back. At this point I unfortunately came to the conclusion that the stock width of the rear window would not work. The shape of the car widens towards the center of the vehicle obviously. Since I had to slide the rear window so far forward, it was just too narrow for a nice transition with a sail panel to the door and also to the top of the quarter panel.

Eventually when the time arrives in the build a lexan glass will be shaped up (it's a fairly flat glass for the most part) a custom glass window will be made (for money reasons, this may be unlikely) or possibly a donor glass with the correct shape could be used and cut to fit.

Dane
Old 03-08-2018, 11:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

Nice project, keep it coming!

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood
Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Great seeing the thought process going on.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:03 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Eventually when the time arrives in the build a lexan glass will be shaped up (it's a fairly flat glass for the most part) a custom glass window will be made (for money reasons, this may be unlikely) or possibly a donor glass with the correct shape could be used and cut to fit.

Keep in mind while some of the rear windows from fifties cars were laminated glass like a windshield and can be cut many are tempered glass and impossible to cut. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-09-2018, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post

Keep in mind while some of the rear windows from fifties cars were laminated glass like a windshield and can be cut many are tempered glass and impossible to cut. ~ John Buchtenkirch
That is correct and a good point to bring up.

Truthfully Lexan is probably the front runner choice, but I’d prefer to keep other options open as I feel a “non glass” option is cheating and the easy way out.

Dane
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 PM

I like it
reminds me of Billy Gibbons' 50 Ford 'Copperhead' but with more chop and better flow