All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-14-2021, 05:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Congratulation on MSOTM, Joel.

You have my great admiration.
When I started shaping, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
Assembling the whole car was a sci-fi for me. I see clear steps in you. Today I know that it is possible.
It is always a question of clients and their willingness. It's very inspiring to watch. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Transaxle Progress

I now have all the transmission internals back from transmission shop and am able to test out the TR6060 shift mechanism to make sure it will work. The adapter plate was drilled to accept fasteners, took some additional milling work for shift lug clearance and here’s how it all looks in place.

The good news is that I’m able to shift the transmission directly by hand to all gears but 5th by grabbing the shift shaft, twisting it and pushing/pulling it. I’m able to do this without the leverage of a shift lever so I’m guessing it can also be done via push/pull cables driven by a shift lever. For 5th gear, I’m able to engage it with some extra leverage of a screw driver. I know 5th gear has an additional internal shift rail and linkage inside the transmission so that’s likely why the extra pull pressure is needed. The shifting shaft mounted shift finger is about 3/16” shorter than ideal but still seems to work OK for these “dry shift” trials. I’m going to hold off on making changes for the shift finger or maybe a custom billet shift mechanism housing until I make more progress on other parts of the puzzle.

With the transaxle pieces now all in place, I can put the engine and transaxle into the chassis for purposes of fabricating motor mounts and mocking up headers. The header routing is a key puzzle piece that’s needed to guide any further transaxle refinements. One thing I’ve also learned is that working an engine hoist around a transverse engine package is different, especially on where the engine and transaxle must be installed as an integral unit. I had to build a special stand so the engine hoist legs could get under the transaxle and engine while extended out to the needed length.

In addition, extra straps with ratchets were needed to control the engine package orientation and tilt. The final drive needs to be angled upward to clear the rear chassis bulkhead and then tilted downward as the package is lowered into the engine compartment. It’s clear to me that there will be only small fractions of inches clearance once drivers compartment bodywork is in place. At this point it looks like a removable rear window may be needed because it’s just that tight.

Once the removable chassis cross member is re-installed, here’s what I’ve got.

First thing, I’ll need to redo some chassis bracing to make room for the AC compressor. Secondly, there’s a tightly confined space for header primary tubes. Of course, equal length header tubes are key to a smooth “Miura like” exhaust note so I need to figure out a routing that achieves this with almost no space to work with.

Well at least I feel like I’m making some forward progress. I need to get the AC compressor mounted in place to figure out shift linkage and cable mounts. I need to mockup headers to verify existing clearance on the TR6060 shift mechanism.

Next steps are clear.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Next level work for sure!
Old 05-16-2021, 02:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Bloody brilliant Joel! Also well done on MSOTM!
Old 05-16-2021, 04:56 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Excellent that the way forward looks promising.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:49 PM

Awesome build
Old 05-27-2021, 09:23 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Next level work for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skintkarter View Post
Bloody brilliant Joel! Also well done on MSOTM!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Excellent that the way forward looks promising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed l View Post
Awesome build
Thanks for the recognition and words of encouragement!
Old 05-27-2021, 09:46 AM

Post Header Mockup

I spent a day starting the mockup of an engine right side header where there is the transaxle clearance challenge. The header flange is the old rusty one cut from the factory header and I used 1 ¾ mandrel tube bends for the mockup. Primary tubes on ports #1, 2 and 3 (right to left in first picture) are 2” CLR bends which is the tightest available for this size tube. The aluminum tube laid horizontal from the shift shaft is simulating the extension I plan to fabricate to keep shift cables away from the hot header zone.

This view provides a good perspective on how the primary tubes can be routed to clear the shift mechanism and still get under the rear chassis cross member.

There is 1/8” clearance between the #3 header tube and shift housing and ¼” between #2 header tube and shift shaft. So there is clearance, but not much, so radiant heat transfer will be great. I estimate that the top of shift mechanism/housing can be lowered by 3/16” by machining it from a single piece of billet instead of the current combination of cast aluminum and adapter plate. That would give 5/16” clearance which is better but I’d like to get more like ½” air space for clearance.

I guess it’s time to seek out other ways to fabricate the header so more clearance can be achieved.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:17 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Joel
could the tube be squeezed to an oval in the tight area?

Steve
Old 05-27-2021, 02:09 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Just grind 1/8 off the top of the elbow to zero on the bottom of your elbow. It need not be exactly square where it joins.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154